Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=White Wolf;n1279209]
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Truebut Gnome2 was best de out there. Good news is that there is going to be born a real perfection:
    https://joshuastrobl.com/2021/09/14/...ive-ecosystem/
    How about no?
    Just kidding, I agree with him on the direction of Gnome.
    That said, I'm also not a fan of Budgie. It's nice, but for those working with pictures it has the same shortcomings of Gnome.
    Maybe with EFL they'll ditch Nautilus and the Gtk file picker, but it'll take time, effort, and resources.
    Resources that a small team seldom has.

In the meantime both Kde and Gnome (and other DEs) will probably be even further ahead...

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      YES and all the Wayland improvements in Plasma 5.23 are really noticeable! I've been able to turn my monitor off and on without a crash and I could connect and disconnect an additional screen too :-)

It would have been nice if the size of the improved menu could be adjusted, it feels quite limited as in the past but overall I can see the benefits.
      oh whoop de doo. Something as fundamental as turning off a monitor or connecting a new display without crashing the entire display stack finally works properly on desktop Linux in 2021 and people are making a huge deal about it while it has been taken for granted in the macOS and Windows world since the late 90s, even when macOS was transitioning to its new display stack in OS X and Windows was in the middle of moving from XDDM to WDDM.

And even in Plasma 5.20 on Wayland, I can't add a new panel or add new widgets to a panel without the whole of KWin and Plasma getting a fucking seizure and blasting rainbow colours all over the display.

Comment

I feel like they missed a trick for the 25th anniversary by naming it 5.25... but oh well.

I first used KDE 2, then KDE 3 back on Red Hat 7 (yes, before they started the "Enterprise Linux" naming) but those were on computers I was not allowed to change things, so never really got into the nitty gritty of the UI. It worked. It did what was needed. That was it.

KDE 4, however, was horrible and put me off for a lot of years. I occasionally try KDE again, most recently Plasma (whatever version was on Arch about four months ago) and KDE Neon spent about two days on a spare laptop before HiDPI quirks drove me to distraction and I wiped it again.

I really like the look of the Kubuntu Focus UI, but I'm not buying a laptop just for a UI, so there we are.

I'm basically stuck with Cinnamon (oh no, woe is me! ) as I can get that to a state I'm completely happy with in about three minutes post-install, or Openbox, where all I want is speeeed, a Conky panel on the desktop and a right-click-for-terminal-emulator option.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

oh whoop de doo. Something as fundamental as turning off a monitor or connecting a new display without crashing the entire display stack finally works properly on desktop Linux in 2021 and people are making a huge deal about it while it has been taken for granted in the macOS and Windows world since the late 90s, even when macOS was transitioning to its new display stack in OS X and Windows was in the middle of moving from XDDM to WDDM.

And even in Plasma 5.20 on Wayland, I can't add a new panel or add new widgets to a panel without the whole of KWin and Plasma getting a fucking seizure and blasting rainbow colours all over the display.
          Those closed source companies never release their beta software to public. What's your point?

Comment

I agree, but thats the irony. Every week we get hundreds of "new" features but often it is nearly impossible to get the long standing and serious bugs addressed. So overall I feel much more exited about bug fixes than any new features :-)

And I can feel your pain if you still try to use Plasma 5.20 on Wayland!

Comment

And still KDE 3.5.10 (along with TDE based on it) remains the best KDE release ever. Hopefully KDE developers will give up on plasma one day and return to their roots.

Comment

It's hit the Manjaro kde-unstable repo overnight so I'm now able to try it. First thing I noticed was faster startup and everything feels a little smoother. I'm looking forward to not having to restart plasmashell every morning!

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I agree, but thats the irony. Every week we get hundreds of "new" features but often it is nearly impossible to get the long standing and serious bugs addressed. So overall I feel much more exited about bug fixes than any new features :-)

And I can feel your pain if you still try to use Plasma 5.20 on Wayland!
                Yes, sometimes there's a release of some KDE application and I have to learn a new workflow, but really wish they would spend more effort on fixing some of the bugs that hang around for multiple releases, or even backporting more fixes to the current release.

Comment

Meanwhile Windows 11 crashes when trying to load you an ad. ;-)

A new Windows 11 Insider Preview was recently released, and there were Start Menu and taskbar crashing issues caused by Microsoft ads.

Comment

Stop trolling please

Comment

I say we shoot the lot of 'em KDE devs and be done with their incompetent a$$es.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      And still KDE 3.5.10 (along with TDE based on it) remains the best KDE release ever. Hopefully KDE developers will give up on plasma one day and return to their roots.
                      You've missed the small and completely irrelevant fact that it's mostly the same devs that in these past ~10 years have created KDE 5 as a direct evolution of their, surprise surprise, KDE 3 roots - but oh well, who cares about the details.

Comment

Working...
                      X