No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.23 Beta Released As The 25th Anniversary Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been using KDE since its 2.x days. 3.5.x was the best KDE ever. Don't really appreciate the way A. Seigo was pushing the desktop during the 4.x days. For instance 4.0 and 4.1 were totally broken for any kind of daily use. The most recent major version seems terribly buggy compared to Gnome these days.

Comment

Happy birthaday KDE. Have been using it during KDE 3.5x days, then jumped ship to Cinnamon and came back to KDE during 5.11x days. Never looked back since then.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Been using KDE since its 2.x days. 3.5.x was the best KDE ever. Don't really appreciate the way A. Seigo was pushing the desktop during the 4.x days. For instance 4.0 and 4.1 were totally broken for any kind of daily use. The most recent major version seems terribly buggy compared to Gnome these days.
        gnome doesn't have many basic features. So it is less buggy. I'm running plasma for several years. I didn't encounter any bugs on latest releases. My only gripe is that their default UI is bit ugly.

Comment

Seems like GNOME/GTK is having a little crisis over theming issues.

Comment

Finally, the beta I've been waiting for since before 5.22 was released! There's so many things in the 5.22 Wayland session that are almost unbearably annoying, like having to switch tty to unlock a session after turning the screen off. Now waiting for it to land in Manjaro's kde-unstable repo.

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            I remember, even have an early 4.x series live DVD somewhere. That came out far too early for normal users. I hope Plasma 6 doesn't take too long to stabilise.
            Last edited by ResponseWriter; 16 September 2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Fixed that for you.
              Partially wrong. GNOME 2 was UI perfection as it had the involvement of big companies that knew how to do UX.
              Only GNOME 3 screwed things up.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Partially wrong. GNOME 2 was UI perfection
                Not really. I mean, it wasn't bad, but still far from perfection...
                Last edited by JackLilhammers; 16 September 2021, 07:14 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=JackLilhammers;n1279198]

Partially wrong. GNOME 2 was UI perfection/QUOTE]

Not really. I mean, it wasn't bad, but still far from perfection...
                  Truebut Gnome2 was best de out there. Good news is that there is going to be born a real perfection:
                  In this blog post, I dive into the need to build an alternative ecosystem of desktop applications.

Comment

Partially wrong. GNOME 2 was UI perfection as it had the involvement of big companies that knew how to do UX.
                    Only GNOME 3 screwed things up.
                    But it got better. GNOME 40 has undoubtedly the best workspace management experience I have seen on desktop platform.

Comment

YES and all the Wayland improvements in Plasma 5.23 are really noticeable! I've been able to turn my monitor off and on without a crash and I could connect and disconnect an additional screen too :-)

It would have been nice if the size of the improved menu could be adjusted, it feels quite limited as in the past but overall I can see the benefits.

Comment

Working...
                      X