Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 6.17 Released With Better HiDPI Support For Built-In Apps

Phoronix: Wine 6.17 Released With Better HiDPI Support For Built-In Apps

Wine 6.17 is out as the latest bi-weekly development release as we move closer towards the Wine 7.0 release around the start of the new year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HiDPI! 👍

Comment

Anyone know how many different versions/ways to run Wine there are? My understanding is that sometimes the mainline version won't run stuff but then you switch the Steam Wine and it works. It's very confusing. How many different blends of Wine are there?

Comment

Somewhat related but has anyone ever tried creating a Flatpak Wine Platform/SDK? There seem to be some older efforts but they seem abandoned. I just feel that it would be preferable to the current state of affairs with many programs, where its "this will work only on a specific version of wine, no newer and no older, with X Y and Z winetricks applied".

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
          Anyone know how many different versions/ways to run Wine there are? My understanding is that sometimes the mainline version won't run stuff but then you switch the Steam Wine and it works. It's very confusing. How many different blends of Wine are there?
          For gaming on Linux in general, it's best practice to just stick with Proton (or Proton-GE for faster updates), since these versions contain out-of-tree patches benefitting games that upstream WINE maybe will never merge.

Comment

Custom WINE builds based on Proton patches to replace system one. Or use Lutris as WINE runner. Just some examples (used both of them for some time):
            My custom build of wine, made to use with lutris. Built with lutris's buildbot. - GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom

The wine-tkg build systems, to create custom Wine and Proton builds - Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git

Comment

Originally posted by iskra32 View Post
              Somewhat related but has anyone ever tried creating a Flatpak Wine Platform/SDK? There seem to be some older efforts but they seem abandoned. I just feel that it would be preferable to the current state of affairs with many programs, where its "this will work only on a specific version of wine, no newer and no older, with X Y and Z winetricks applied".
              As a Wine user I kinda like it's so complicated and has many builds (including Proton), some would say it makes you bi-polar, but I'm not bi-polar, I'm "Bi-Winning", I win here, I win there.
              Give it a try, and remember, can't is the cancer of happen.

Comment

There existing
                - the standard WINE
                - WINE staging
                - the Proton fork by Valve
                - the CrossOver fork by Codeweavers

Thats it.
                And you can say that all are OpenSource.
                CrossOver have only its bottle-system closed. But the source of the WINE part are open. And are at first submitted to WINE itself. But WINE don't accepted all changes, because of code qualaty So CrossOver and WINE differ.
                Similar with Proton. Proton is completely OpenSource. And it using its own Direct3D implementation which is OpenSource, too.. But different to the WINE one.

Comment

Does Wine have any roadmap?
                  How much of the Windows API is covered by Wine?
                  How compatible is Wine?

Does it run Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, Maya, AutoCAD, Photoshop?

Comment

Is Proton a better alternative to wine-staging 6.16-1 with dxvk 1.9.1 to install and run local games without Steam via Setup.exe?
                    Or is Proton only designed to install and run games from the Steam directory?
                    Have some games on local disks and looking for the optimal way to play them. To which option should you use for this? I use Manjaro Linux.

Thanks community

Comment

Working...
                    X