GNOME 41 Release Candidate Arrives With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Sorry. Moment of weakness after seeing it again and again and again.

Has Phoronix added a blocking feature that I missed? I know people were complaining about the lack of kill files for a while but I never saw mention of it having been remedied.
    No worries :-)

Huh, I thought the "Ignore list" in User Settings was supposed to do exactly that, had at least one very special name there for a while. But you're right, after I checked it doesn't work. Must have been a coincidence that those users either grew tired or were banned site-wide as their posts stopped appearing around the time I "blocked" them.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
      As usual, no screenshots, nor videos anywhere to talk about DE evolutions.
      From what I can see, the shell looks *exactly* like the version 40 (running with gnome-shell-41~rc.1-1.fc35.x86_64 from Fedora branched here). Some visual glitches with display on screens with different DPI have been fixed. And I can't quantify this, but it *feels* smoother. So you could reuse the screenshots from version 40, if you will.

Comment

Interested in seeing dynamic frame clock dispatching and the effect on overall latency/smoothness

Apparently, it should be quite an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
          Hopefully a fix to make Gnome Photos usable on large quantities of photos.
          If you mean the rotating multiple pictures bug that's been existing for years by now, I sure hope they fixed it. I reported it a few years ago, but nothing changed, watching a series of photos and rotating some of them messes things badly.

Comment

Originally posted by conualfy View Post

If you mean the rotating multiple pictures bug that's been existing for years by now, I sure hope they fixed it. I reported it a few years ago, but nothing changed, watching a series of photos and rotating some of them messes things badly.
            No. Just point Photos to a mounted share with 100GB of photos and it will simply not show them. The "tracker" that's supposed to scan them buggs out and Gnome Photos doesn't show most of the pictures. There is also the issue with the top menu bar taking half the screen size.
            Both things are reported and confirmed.
            Last edited by S.Pam; 12 September 2021, 03:17 AM.

Comment

does it finally render at constant 60fps now? it's insane how animations and scrolling (is that a GTK issue instead?) can never quite reach it while KDE/kwin never has issues.
              I always try GNOME each release for some reason, like most recently my main gripe on KDE for years already, touchpad gestures not following your fingers but just triggering desktop change action, and also dynamic workspaces (of which there's an extension for KDE but doesn't quite work as good and the desktop overview shows all desktops tiny at once instead of just one and part of the next in case there is and the tiny versions up top... def more polished GNOME there).

but the stutters always drive me away the same day I try it and I would if it weren't for mutter never being able to deliver a smooth experience in any computer I've had even with decent specs. supposedly performance was increased greatly a year or two ago? I don't see it and I don't know if it's because I switched to a 4K monitor by the time that was done so the benchmark moved greatly but kwin has no problems and never had in previous resolution+specs configurations

Comment

Working...
              X