Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Resolution Scrolling On Linux Progressing, Apple Magic Mouse Support In Linux 5.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbine View Post
    They need to allow you to adjust scrolling sensitivity. I cannot use desktop Linux because my expensive mouse's scrollwheel requires an insane amount of scroll to move down the page.
    Yeah, been there. Also with mice require setting the sens and accel to values that no DE supports via GUI. (Because Hutterer decided X's accel code was broken (which it absolutely was) and he could do better (which he apparently couldn't). Oh well...)

Funily enough, various other libinput changes over the years, combined with a massive bug in GTK3, mean that about half the mousewheel events on GTK3-based systems just get dropped and lost anyway, which makes the "high-end mousewheel" problem even worse.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

I am afraid Chrome and Firefox already have their own implementations for this.
    I don't think so, I've used both with XI2 and neither has any momentum.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    Somebody should write a scrolling momentum library to complement this, before we end up with 100 separate config files and algorithms.
    I am afraid Chrome and Firefox already have their own implementations for this.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Somebody should write a scrolling momentum library to complement this, before we end up with 100 separate config files and algorithms.

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    EDIT: Firefox is really buggy with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1. Copy & paste is broken. I can't drag a link to another application. The Firefox Application menu flickers off and is about unusable. There's a reason why I haven't made the switch to Wayland yet.
    Yes, using it right now. Let me add that link hover text stretches outside the browser window and off screen, so you need another screen to the right to see the rest. The good thing is that moving browser tabs works, without being offset to where the window was when it opened, which for me is always on the wrong screen.
    Last edited by andreano; 07 September 2021, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbine View Post
    I cannot use desktop Linux because my expensive mouse's scrollwheel requires an insane amount of scroll to move down the page.
    Seasoned Linux users: *Casually turns their mice upside down in their hands and drags them on their wheels to scroll the page.*

My solution was to buy one of those Logitech mice with a wheel that you can physically make spin. I bought the G502, actually two, when that was the only thing you could get with that. Unfortunately, it was too low for my hand, gave me chronic pain, and now I can only use vertical mice, which don't have the feature for some reason.
    Last edited by andreano; 07 September 2021, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by timrichardson View Post

The libinput code base is very easy to hack around in. It's very well documented and easy to understand, including build instructions, even if you only potter around in C.
    The barrier to entry for contributors is pretty low, particularly compared with most of desktop linux. As a Fedora Wayland user who prefers Firefox, most of the criticisms in this thread are unrecognisable to me, but if someone thinks libinput needs improvement, go for it.
    The libinput code was already mostly doe. What was missing was adapting the XInput2 driver, GTK and other users of libinput. I know from having done something similar to the evdev driver that XInput2 is fragile and underdocumented

Leave a comment:

• blueweb
    replied
    One can only hope this might fix the issue with slow scrolling upon waking certain mice from sleep, ever since kernel 5.0

Leave a comment:

• timrichardson
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post

and to José Exposito who picked it up and finished the patch after Peter abandoned it for two years.
    The libinput code base is very easy to hack around in. It's very well documented and easy to understand, including build instructions, even if you only potter around in C.
    The barrier to entry for contributors is pretty low, particularly compared with most of desktop linux. As a Fedora Wayland user who prefers Firefox, most of the criticisms in this thread are unrecognisable to me, but if someone thinks libinput needs improvement, go for it.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by xhustler View Post
    Simple but increases productivity immensely - no longer have to pull my hair out. Shout out to Peter Hutterer.
    and to José Exposito who picked it up and finished the patch after Peter abandoned it for two years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X