Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Resolution Scrolling On Linux Progressing, Apple Magic Mouse Support In Linux 5.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

Scrolling is good on Firefox wayland.
    In Wayland, rather than set "MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1" to get smooth scrolling, I have to set "MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1". Maybe some distros set those values by default. I would hope so.

EDIT:
    Firefox is really buggy with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1. Copy & paste is broken. I can't drag a link to another application. The Firefox Application menu flickers off and is about unusable. There's a reason why I haven't made the switch to Wayland yet.
    Last edited by Chugworth; 05 September 2021, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Nice to see work getting put into this area again. Ive historically always wound up using the mtrack XOrg driver on all modern laptops

Xorg Multitouch Trackpad Driver. Contribute to p2rkw/xf86-input-mtrack development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
        Now I wonder how long it's going to take apps to add support for this. To this day, FireFox on Linux still doesn't properly handle touchpad scrolling unless you set "MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1" and disable the simulated "smooth scrolling" in its settings.
        Qt apps right away. We have supported it for almost a decade since it exists on other platforms. Though it will take the next version to add the direct support for QtWayland (using the API just landed this week in libinput as opposed to the XInput2 driver).

Comment

Simple but increases productivity immensely - no longer have to pull my hair out. Shout out to Peter Hutterer.

Comment

Originally posted by xhustler View Post
            Simple but increases productivity immensely - no longer have to pull my hair out. Shout out to Peter Hutterer.
            and to José Exposito who picked it up and finished the patch after Peter abandoned it for two years.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

and to José Exposito who picked it up and finished the patch after Peter abandoned it for two years.
              The libinput code base is very easy to hack around in. It's very well documented and easy to understand, including build instructions, even if you only potter around in C.
              The barrier to entry for contributors is pretty low, particularly compared with most of desktop linux. As a Fedora Wayland user who prefers Firefox, most of the criticisms in this thread are unrecognisable to me, but if someone thinks libinput needs improvement, go for it.

Comment

One can only hope this might fix the issue with slow scrolling upon waking certain mice from sleep, ever since kernel 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post

The libinput code base is very easy to hack around in. It's very well documented and easy to understand, including build instructions, even if you only potter around in C.
                  The barrier to entry for contributors is pretty low, particularly compared with most of desktop linux. As a Fedora Wayland user who prefers Firefox, most of the criticisms in this thread are unrecognisable to me, but if someone thinks libinput needs improvement, go for it.
                  The libinput code was already mostly doe. What was missing was adapting the XInput2 driver, GTK and other users of libinput. I know from having done something similar to the evdev driver that XInput2 is fragile and underdocumented

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
                    I cannot use desktop Linux because my expensive mouse's scrollwheel requires an insane amount of scroll to move down the page.
                    Seasoned Linux users: *Casually turns their mice upside down in their hands and drags them on their wheels to scroll the page.*

My solution was to buy one of those Logitech mice with a wheel that you can physically make spin. I bought the G502, actually two, when that was the only thing you could get with that. Unfortunately, it was too low for my hand, gave me chronic pain, and now I can only use vertical mice, which don't have the feature for some reason.
                    Last edited by andreano; 07 September 2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                      EDIT: Firefox is really buggy with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1. Copy & paste is broken. I can't drag a link to another application. The Firefox Application menu flickers off and is about unusable. There's a reason why I haven't made the switch to Wayland yet.
                      Yes, using it right now. Let me add that link hover text stretches outside the browser window and off screen, so you need another screen to the right to see the rest. The good thing is that moving browser tabs works, without being offset to where the window was when it opened, which for me is always on the wrong screen.
                      Last edited by andreano; 07 September 2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X