Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Resolution Scrolling On Linux Progressing, Apple Magic Mouse Support In Linux 5.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    Now I wonder how long it's going to take apps to add support for this. To this day, FireFox on Linux still doesn't properly handle touchpad scrolling unless you set "MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1" and disable the simulated "smooth scrolling" in its settings.
    What exactly is wrong in your opinion? I use the touchpad scroll in a Thinkpad and I didn't see any inconvenience both in FIrefox and Chrome.
    Last edited by M@GOid; 05 September 2021, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

What exactly is wrong in your opinion? I use the touchpad scroll in a Thinkpad and I didn't see any inconvenience both in FIrefox and Chrome.
      By default you do not get true smooth scrolling on touchpads like you would find on Windows or Mac. Or even Chromium on Linux. It can be enabled by putting "export MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1" in your ".bash_profile" and then turning off the false "smooth scrolling" option, but that is not exactly a user-friendly way of correcting the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        tildearrow

It may be true but it doesn't add anything to the discussion so I decide to troll back. You could say his sarcastic comment to so many things on Linux.

I just don't tolerate anyone not appreciating a free and amazing OS like GNU/Linux. That's all. Not trying to troll.
        Is it actually free? All donations and working hours paid by the big companies are included in the prices of their respective products.

Comment

Originally posted by Shtirlic View Post

Is it actually free? All donations and working hours paid by the big companies are included in the prices of their respective products.
          Free for me. And you. And every other person in the world should they choose so.

Comment

Originally posted by Shtirlic View Post

That's not what "free" means. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you actually don't know what "free software" means. I highly recommend you do some reading on it! It doesn't mean zero cost to develop, and it doesn't mean you don't have to pay money to use it. It means that it respects your freedom as an individual.

Comment

and then turning off the false "smooth scrolling" option, but that is not exactly a user-friendly way of correcting the problem.
              What is a »false "smooth scrolling" option«?

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

What is a »false "smooth scrolling" option«?
                Firefox has an option called "Use smooth scrolling" that is a bit misleading. It does not give you pixel-precision scrolling. Rather, it glides between jumps of several lines at a time. That should just be turned off if you set "MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1".

Comment

By default you do not get true smooth scrolling on touchpads like you would find on Windows or Mac. Or even Chromium on Linux. It can be enabled by putting "export MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1" in your ".bash_profile" and then turning off the false "smooth scrolling" option, but that is not exactly a user-friendly way of correcting the problem.
                  Scrolling is good on Firefox wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    tildearrow

I just don't tolerate anyone not appreciating a free and amazing OS like GNU/Linux. That's all. Not trying to troll.
                    Right, appreciating something means giving all its brokenness and flaws a free pass becaise it is free.

Desktop Linux doesn't support smooth scrolling? Who cares, because it's Free! How dare you not appreciate not having smooth scrolling!

Printer drivers released by a manufacturer break after an update to CUPS? Who care, because it's free! How dare you complain about broken drivers in a free OS!

No kernel drivers for your Wifi card or top-of-the-line 25GbE ethernet NIC? Who cares, Linux is free! How dare you complain about the almighty kernel not having drivers for your top dollar hardware!

Graphical desktop suddenly crashing back into a tty or GDM because X11 or Wayland decides to throw a fucking fit? Who cares, Linux is Free! How dare you complain about a broken free graphical desktop in a free OS!

Ext4 suddenly corrupting itself after a routine shutdown and needing an fsck on boot? Who cares, Linux is free! How dare you complain about a free broken filesystem in a free OS!

Were this Windows or macOS, people would be baying for blood right now.
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 05 September 2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Sonadow, oh.. well if that's how you feel, then you should take up the C language and kernel development and really start giving back.

You might not be living up to your potential. I'm just saying, not trolling. For someone to have such big hopes and aspirations as yourself, I think you need to start realizing it through. Just my opinion. Be the change you want in the world, and the Linux kernel by extension. How and why do you think Linus made Linux?

edit: Linus -> Linux
                      Last edited by perpetually high; 06 September 2021, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X