Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snapcraft 6.0 Coming To Finally Move From Ubuntu 18.04 To 20.04 LTS Base, Phase Out i386

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Beer
    replied
    I use all 3, and think each one has its one pros and cons. But it is good for me as a user to have more options, and be able to decide what to use. So I hope they will contikue with development

Leave a comment:

• mariogrip
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

LOL. If you're going to post stuff like that, at least make sure your information is correct. Flatpak existed long before Snap came around, just under a different name.
    https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2018/0...pak-a-history/
    Snaps existed before that using a different name `click packages`

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

snaps were invented a year before the flatpaks
    LOL. If you're going to post stuff like that, at least make sure your information is correct. Flatpak existed long before Snap came around, just under a different name.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

remind me, how many apps are in flatpaks - especially apps that cannot be found in the standard repositories?
    Of all the apps that I came across in the last couple of months that I either use or looked into, about 95% was offered as a Flatpak, 3% as an AppImage, 1% as Snap-only and 1% in more than one format (i.e. Flatpak *and* Snap).

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied

Not that it matters which one came first, but the roots of flatpak goes back to 2007 with a project called glick then glick2. When was snap announced?
    Also note that xdg-app is the same thing as flatpak so it was just a rebranding.

​​​​​​History of flatpak:

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    We already have Flatpak and AppImage, which are more open, so no thanks Canonical !
    Stop wasting people's time !

Leave a comment:

• linner
    replied
    Snap pollutes the system with mounts. Just look at `mount` and try to figure out where your real drive mounts are; now imagine having 100 snaps and what that would look like, yikes. Flatpak pollutes the filesystem in general. Just look at all the crap under /var/lib/flatpak with even just a few installed. They both suck.

AppImage is the only one that is self-contained and can be installed and run by a normal user. It's really weird that Ubuntu has gone to so much effort to copy OSX (derp) yet didn't want to use AppImage which is the closest thing to the OSX image format there is. I was a Rox user many years ago and AppImage is just an extension of that.
    Last edited by linner; 04 September 2021, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• krzyzowiec
    replied
    The negative comments here are weird. If you don’t like it, don’t use it? I imagine most of you aren’t even running Ubuntu due to hatred of Canonical so why bother?

I think snap is great. It lets me run software that otherwise people might not care to package.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied

remind me, how many apps are in flatpaks - especially apps that cannot be found in the standard repositories?
    Are you asking for flathub specifically or all flatpak repositories?
    Also, remind me, are there any proprietary packages in the standard repositories?

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post

The rest of the linux ecosystem is going with flatpak and there is zero change that snap will become a de-facto standard with fedora/suse backing flatpak.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X