Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snapcraft 6.0 Coming To Finally Move From Ubuntu 18.04 To 20.04 LTS Base, Phase Out i386

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    We already have Flatpak and AppImage, which are more open, so no thanks Canonical !
    Stop wasting people's time !
    snaps were invented a year before the flatpaks

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

Not that it matters which one came first, but the roots of flatpak goes back to 2007 with a project called glick then glick2. When was snap announced?
      Also note that xdg-app is the same thing as flatpak so it was just a rebranding.

​​​​​​History of flatpak:

Comment

remind me, how many apps are in flatpaks - especially apps that cannot be found in the standard repositories?
        Of all the apps that I came across in the last couple of months that I either use or looked into, about 95% was offered as a Flatpak, 3% as an AppImage, 1% as Snap-only and 1% in more than one format (i.e. Flatpak *and* Snap).

Comment

LOL. If you're going to post stuff like that, at least make sure your information is correct. Flatpak existed long before Snap came around, just under a different name.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

LOL. If you're going to post stuff like that, at least make sure your information is correct. Flatpak existed long before Snap came around, just under a different name.
            https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2018/0...pak-a-history/
            Snaps existed before that using a different name `click packages`

Comment

I use all 3, and think each one has its one pros and cons. But it is good for me as a user to have more options, and be able to decide what to use. So I hope they will contikue with development

Comment

Originally posted by mariogrip View Post

Snaps existed before that using a different name `click packages`
                And they still exist on UBports Ubuntu Touch. But Click is much younger than the predecessor of Flatpak, so your point is invalid.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus
                  So I actually read your link, and even the author says that those past iterations were full of hacks and didn’t resemble flatpak until 2014, which funny enough, is when Ubuntu started using click…

Comment

Originally posted by krzyzowiec View Post

So I actually read your link, and even the author says that those past iterations were full of hacks and didn’t resemble flatpak until 2014, which funny enough, is when Ubuntu started using click…
                    Okay, well then they are both equally as old. However, the person I initially replied to said that Snap was older, which clearly isn't true.

Comment

Oh those hipsters, they drop x86_32, but added RISC-V, which have similar performance, but orders of magnitude lower deployment base.

Don't forget about relatively recent crappy Atom-based machines with 32bit UEFI, that isn't capable to boot 64 bit OS, despite the fact that CPU is 64 bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X