Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome/Chromium's Ozone X11 Code Now Fully Enabled, Old Legacy X11 Code To Be Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

CPU really isn't a substitute for accelerated video encode/decode. It ruins battery life on portable devices and uses CPU cycle which could have been used elsewhere. Hardware video acceleration exists for a reason.

VAAPI encode works fine everywhere decode works, which should be pretty much everywhere (excluding the proprietary NVIDIA driver). Both AMD and Intel have excellent support for VAAPI. Nouveau works with VAAPI but as usual has limitations. There is a VAAPI->VDPAU driver, but I don't know how well that works for encode, if at all. There is also a VDPAU->VAAPI driver, so VAAPI supporting software can use VDPAU only drivers.

The fragmentation is almost entirely on the NVIDIA side. VDPAU was a welcome technology back in the day, but it was always closely tied to X11 so in a world moving to Wayland isn't relevant anymore. NVIDIA have their own replacement in the form of nvenc/nvdec, which is unfortunate.
    It's worth noting that VDPAU was the first API in Linux to support HW video decoding. Blaming NVIDIA for fragmentation is too far fetched if not outright false.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Mobile users are not running standard Linux or Wayland. They are very happy for Xorg to remain the dominant open-source display system.

Laptop users have multi-core CPUs that are very capable. In many cases they use less energy than your typical GPU. Remember, whether CPU or GPU, the *same* work gets done. The difference is parallelisation but that takes more energy too.
      Laptop users are looking at you in disbelief, confusion and horror.

Jokes aside, it looks like you totally don't understand the essence of HW video encoding/encoding. In terms of energy it can be hugely more efficient than doing the same on a generic CPU no matter the uArch.

Here's some recent data:

And Apple M1 is currently one of the most efficient and performant CPUs on this planet. The difference could be much bigger for less performant CPUs.

More info here: http://web.archive.org/web/202107071...sumption-pt-2/

My Ryzen 7 5800X under Linux/Chrome 92 consumes around 25W while playing at 4K VP9. My 1660 Ti consumes less than 10W doing the same. 15W must be insignificant for you I guess.
      Last edited by avem; 29 August 2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Ozone X11 has been working for years, and they only drop the legacy x11 code now.

But that's not enough. I want them to drop all x11 code, including Ozone's x11 code and focus only on the Wayland portion.
        Even that is not enough. I want them to shoot the devs who contributed X11 code as a warning to the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

Does Xorg wake you at night? Does it bully your children? Does it prevent you from breathing or living? Why would you want it to die?

How much have you invested in Wayland to even say something like this? Lastly, when did you start using Linux? A year ago? Two years ago? Did you know X11 is almost 34 years old?
          I am using Linux for 12 years. so what? I hate Xorg because of slightly slower performance, too much input latency and It feels like I'm running two layers of gui. I don't like fiddling with conf files to get correct resolution and fps on monitors. On other hand, animations on wayland feels fast, smooth and no tearing.

Comment

for some reason google wants to play ny rules of host os? quite interesting...

Comment

And Apple M1 is currently one of the most efficient and performant CPUs on this planet. The difference could be much bigger for less performant CPUs.
              I don't know. If this is it, I think that is a very easy compromise to make to run the platforms I want to run.

For my actual hardware (fairly basic ThinkPads), the integrated GMA GPUs don't exactly shine when it comes to performance either.

But honestly, with the dire web support and scum like Flash. We have all been doing software decoding for what seems like decades. Its was never a deal breaker.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 29 August 2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

I am using Linux for 12 years. so what? I hate Xorg because of slightly slower performance, too much input latency and It feels like I'm running two layers of gui. I don't like fiddling with conf files to get correct resolution and fps on monitors. On other hand, animations on wayland feels fast, smooth and no tearing.
                I've been using Linux for over two decades. In terms of using Xorg:
                • Never seen or felt any slowdowns aside from running very rare broken applications which send too many libX11 calls
                • Never had or felt too much latency
                • Never fiddled with Xorg conf files to get 144Hz on my current display - it worked out of the box
                • Tearing was solved a decade ago or so
                • Animations feel fast and smooth
                All of this using NVIDIA, Intel and AMD graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I don't know. If this is it, I think that is a very easy compromise to make to run the platforms I want to run.

For my actual hardware (fairly basic ThinkPads), the integrated GMA GPUs don't exactly shine when it comes to performance either.

But honestly, with the dire web support and scum like Flash. We have all been doing software decoding for what seems like decades. Its was never a deal breaker.
                  So, you think you are the center of the universe and other people do not exist. Gotcha. Many Linux users have the exact same train of thought as seen by "Kill Xorg and ... people who continue to code for it". It's nice that you've finally admitted who you are. The next step in your enlightenment process is admitting that other people exist and they might have very different needs and means.

To counter falsehoods in your statement:
                  • HW video decoding and encoding has been on smartphones since basically forever.
                  • HW video decoding Windows has been, I can't be sure but I guess, around Windows 2000 or something like that, i.e. for more than 20 years. Encoding appeared later.
                  • Adobe Flash solved and provided HW video decoding for H.264 (and probably VP8, I now don't remember) in Linux a decade ago for NVIDIA GPUs using VDPAU. Now in 2021 we have no "scum" Flash and no universal HW video decoding. Isn't it great?
                  In short Linux users are probably the only computer users who continue to "enjoy" software video decoding and encoding.
                  Last edited by avem; 29 August 2021, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Well, but not XWayland, the compatibility layer
                    Of course, Xwayland is the natural successor of X11 in order to run X11 applications on Wayland.

Comment

And you say it based on what? Are you actively contributing or following either of the projects (Phoronix news articles notwithstanding)?

Has Xorg become unusable recently? Maybe it's incompatible with new hardware? Maybe it destroys your hardware? Maybe there are new applications which don't support it?

No? Nothing? It's perfectly usable for 99.99% of users out there? Then maybe you could stop expressing your wishful thinking as some sort of truth.

Lastly, X11 compatibility and support which you even more erroneously implicated is not going anywhere in the next 10 years at the very least or ever. There's just too much software based on libX11 which no one will rewrite for shiny Wayland.
                      Many articles in phoronix highlights how no relevant updates are provided on Xorg.

Comment

Working...
                      X