Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome/Chromium's Ozone X11 Code Now Fully Enabled, Old Legacy X11 Code To Be Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not using Chrome or Chromium. However relying on GPU based videodecoding or encoding is not a good situation in my opinion. The best solution is a performant CPU and you should be good to go. GPU based coding is always limited by hardwarecodec- and applicationcompatibility especially on linux with it's fragmented API landscape.

Videodecoding in software should work with good performance for all videocontent available through a webbrowser nowadays on a system that has been bought within the last five years. Videoencoding on the other hand is something that really needs work on linux. The availability for vaapi encoding is far too limited right now. I am talking about things like steam remoteplay and videorendering on linux.
    Last edited by ripper81; 30 August 2021, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
      Is Ozone also a prerequisite for native Wayland support in Electron apps?
      Electron apps can use Ozone for Wayland support, but they need to be built/bundled with recent Electron runtime version, and not all (yet?) have upgraded. So if you want native Wayland support from your favorite Electron based app, go work with your app vendor and request they upgrade to a newer framework version.

Comment

Originally posted by ripper81 View Post
        Im not using Chrome or Chromium. However relying on GPU based videodecoding or encoding is not a good situation in my opinon. The best solution is a performant CPU and you should be good to go. GPU based coding is always limited by hardwarecodec- and applicationcompatibility especially on linux with it's fragmented API landscape.

Videodecoding in software should work with good performance for all videocontent available through a webbrowser nowadays on system that has been bought within the last five years. Videoencoding on the other hand is something that realy needs work on linux. The availability for vaapi encoding is far too limted right now. Im talking about things like steam remoteplay and videorendering on linux.
        CPU really isn't a substitute for accelerated video encode/decode. It ruins battery life on portable devices and uses CPU cycle which could have been used elsewhere. Hardware video acceleration exists for a reason.

VAAPI encode works fine everywhere decode works, which should be pretty much everywhere (excluding the proprietary NVIDIA driver). Both AMD and Intel have excellent support for VAAPI. Nouveau works with VAAPI but as usual has limitations. There is a VAAPI->VDPAU driver, but I don't know how well that works for encode, if at all. There is also a VDPAU->VAAPI driver, so VAAPI supporting software can use VDPAU only drivers.

The fragmentation is almost entirely on the NVIDIA side. VDPAU was a welcome technology back in the day, but it was always closely tied to X11 so in a world moving to Wayland isn't relevant anymore. NVIDIA have their own replacement in the form of nvenc/nvdec, which is unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

because of Nvidia and I have the bad feeling that they are not able to develop an nvidia driver based on GBM.
          They already did. Their Tegra drivers have been using it for awhile and they already have the desktop GBM driver mostly finished. An Nvidia dev even said that Sway runs on it without any modifications.

Comment

wayland is stable and usable on amd and intel gpus. I just want Xorg to die.

Comment

I assume they fixed the idle detection and screendsaver suppression that used to be broken with Ozone X11?

Comment

Im not using Chrome or Chromium. However relying on GPU based videodecoding or encoding is not a good situation in my opinon. The best solution is a performant CPU and you should be good to go. GPU based coding is always limited by hardwarecodec- and applicationcompatibility especially on linux with it's fragmented API landscape.

Videodecoding in software should work with good performance for all videocontent available through a webbrowser nowadays on system that has been bought within the last five years. Videoencoding on the other hand is something that realy needs work on linux. The availability for vaapi encoding is far too limted right now. Im talking about things like steam remoteplay and videorendering on linux.
                Pretty much any time a newer, more sophisticated codec comes out it runs like absolutely shit on anything that doesn't have hardware to decode it. Look up the performance of AV1 for example.

Comment

• Hardware video decoding allows to offload your CPU and save a ton of energy. If you are personally not interested in it, billions of mobile/laptop users are.
                  • Encoding is also crucial because e.g. realtime video encoding can be quite stressful for your CPU, while the GPU, though not getting the best output in terms of bitrate, is perfectly fine for real time streaming. And this is again relevant for all the same users who use instant messengers/video calling apps such as WhatsApp, Telegram, Skype, Zoom, Google Meet, etc. as well as tens of millions of people who participate in video conferences from their laptops.
                  In short your statement is as asinine as it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
                    wayland is stable and usable on amd and intel gpus. I just want Xorg to die.
                    Does Xorg wake you at night? Does it bully your children? Does it prevent you from breathing or living? Why would you want it to die?

How much have you invested in Wayland to even say something like this? Lastly, when did you start using Linux? A year ago? Two years ago? Did you know X11 is almost 34 years old?

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
                      If you are personally not interested in it, billions of mobile/laptop users are.
                      Mobile users are not running standard Linux or Wayland. They are very happy for Xorg to remain the dominant open-source display system.

Laptop users have multi-core CPUs that are very capable. In many cases they use less energy than your typical GPU. Remember, whether CPU or GPU, the *same* work gets done. The difference in speed is parallelisation but that takes more energy too and is still capped at 60fps for any video.

Comment

Working...
                      X