Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome/Chromium's Ozone X11 Code Now Fully Enabled, Old Legacy X11 Code To Be Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread. Really enjoyed it. Switch to Firefox and use the above suggestion of mpv + youtube-dl (now yt-dlp). *runs*

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
      Oh look, Google just reinvented SDL!
      No....

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        Great thread. Really enjoyed it. Switch to Firefox and use the above suggestion of mpv + youtube-dl (now yt-dlp). *runs*
        Thanks for pointing out yt-dlp! Didn't know there was an improved upon fork out there...

One question though:
        Can mpv be made aware of it, or would I have to mess about with linking them together myself?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

because of Nvidia and I have the bad feeling that they are not able to develop an nvidia driver based on GBM.
          I really hate this NVIDIA blaming! Besides there are many desktops which don't support Wayland at all! Wayland is still in very active development and it would be stupid to drop X11 support, because of some fanboys!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Thanks for pointing out yt-dlp! Didn't know there was an improved upon fork out there...

One question though:
            Can mpv be made aware of it, or would I have to mess about with linking them together myself?
            Welcome, I found out about it on Hacker News a couple days ago.

I believe mpv just uses whatever youtube-dl you have in your PATH. So I just have mine in /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl and all seems to be going well.

For those new to mpv (first, welcome. second, nice job getting out under your rock), if you want hardware acceleration, add this to your mpv.conf (probably /etc/mpv/mpv.conf):

Code:
            hwdec=auto
            fs=yes
            fs is fullscreen

then just $ mpv https : // youtube-link

Ez pz, never open Chrome again.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I really hate this NVIDIA blaming! Besides there are many desktops which don't support Wayland at all! Wayland is still in very active development and it would be stupid to drop X11 support, because of some fanboys!
              Regardless, nowadays x11 support is abandoned.

Comment

No its not. Uninstall / disable Xwayland and see how far you get

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...merge_requests

The project itself is still very busy. Many of these merge requests are Xorg specific (even unrelated to the Xwayland layer) and in particular I can see fixes by one of the core Xenocara maintainers (Matthieu Herrb). They will happily take over maintenance when it comes to it. Though just like OpenSSH, they might strip out all Linux support in the core branch and then release less vigorously tested "portable" releases from time to time.

Not to mention, 90%+ of Linux applications (especially proprietary such as Maya, Matlab, UE4) are running through Xwayland. Very much X11 support.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 29 August 2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

~300 mb for a Webbrowser. I'd really like to know how much of that is wasted for Ozone.

Comment

Well, but not XWayland, the compatibility layer

Comment

And you say it based on what? Are you actively contributing or following either of the projects (Phoronix news articles notwithstanding)?

Has Xorg become unusable recently? Maybe it's incompatible with new hardware? Maybe it destroys your hardware? Maybe there are new applications which don't support it?

No? Nothing? It's perfectly usable for 99.99% of users out there? Then maybe you could stop expressing your wishful thinking as some sort of truth.

Lastly, X11 compatibility and support which you even more erroneously implicated is not going anywhere in the next 10 years at the very least or ever. There's just too much software based on libX11 which no one will rewrite for shiny Wayland.
                      Last edited by avem; 29 August 2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X