Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome/Chromium's Ozone X11 Code Now Fully Enabled, Old Legacy X11 Code To Be Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    I want them to drop all x11 code, including Ozone's x11 code and focus only on the Wayland portion.
    But it's already abstracted. So why do you want them to make the program less useful to a lot of other people?

Comment

I can confirm that the flag mentioned above to enable HW Video decode does not work anymore even though about:gpu says otherwise. Tools/Media will show you that HW decoding does not work.

Comment

Ozone X11 has been working for years, and they only drop the legacy x11 code now.

But that's not enough. I want them to drop all x11 code, including Ozone's x11 code and focus only on the Wayland portion.
        Really now? Huh. Then I suppose it's a good thing you're not involved in the decision making process.

The only thing worse than fanatically supporting an old tech full of design flaws and security holes, is fanatically supporting a new tech full of half-implemented features and performance issues (when it comes to DEs, libraries and apps having full and proper support for said features).

Comment

Ozone X11 has been working for years, and they only drop the legacy x11 code now.

But that's not enough. I want them to drop all x11 code, including Ozone's x11 code and focus only on the Wayland portion.
          Yes, make every single distro that didn't swap to wayland by default unusable with chrome based browsers. Freaking genius. Wayland needs at least 5 years more to start dropping X11 code seriously, at least until Wayland is fully stable on all major GPU makers and here i am not talking only about Nvidia/AMD/Intel but also about ARM based solutions.
          Last edited by piotrj3; 29 August 2021, 07:30 AM. Reason: fix

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Yes, make every single distro that didn't swap to wayland by default unusable with chrome based browsers. Freaking genius. Wayland needs at least 5 years more to start dropping X11 code seriously, at least until Wayland is fully stable on all major GPU makers and here i am not talking only about Nvidia/AMD/Intel but also about ARM based solutions.
            I thought, that wayland on ARM works better, than on NVidia, doesn't it? What about that ARMs in IoT with Mir wayland or ARMs in ChromeBooks with wayland support?

Comment

Which is the utility to get chrome ozone based on X11 when it has been focused on Wayland? Is it not redundant in confront of the official Chrome/chromium project?

Comment

Fedora 34, no vaapi accelerated video decode under x11 anymore with default settings
                Setting "#use-ozone-platform" to "Disabled" in chrome://flags/ makes VAAPI Video HW Acceleration work again, but for not for long according to this article.
                It's a real shame.
                Last edited by sheepdestroyer; 29 August 2021, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Wayland isn't working for everyone yet...
                  because of Nvidia and I have the bad feeling that they are not able to develop an nvidia driver based on GBM.
                  Last edited by Azrael5; 29 August 2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Welcome to Linux

Where the rendering backends are made up and the hardware acceleration doesn't matter.

Comment

I know this probably won't be for everyone, but I think you guys should really look into giving the unmatched combo of »mpv + youtube-dl« (contrary to its name, supports many more sites) a serious look.
                      I've switched already years ago, and never had to look back since!
                      (And of course, it provides phenomenal hardware video acceleration support, too.)

Comment

Working...
                      X