No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.23 Will Be Another Exciting Release With Many Improvements Abound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.23 Will Be Another Exciting Release With Many Improvements Abound

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.23 Will Be Another Exciting Release With Many Improvements Abound

The Plasma 5.23 desktop release is looking like it will be quite an eventful milestone while KDE developers are finishing August strong with many improvements and fixes across their desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Amazing to hear!

I wonder when is Breeze or Oxygen going to support Qt 6.

Comment

btw, does anyone have any idea how to make the kde frok kubuntu backports to display heic pictures (ISO Media, HEIF Image HEVC Main or Main Still Picture Profile)?

and yeah, i'm looking forward to the update

Comment

- Dolphin will launch faster on Plasma 5.23.
        Discover, not Dolphin

Comment

Running KDE with 3 displays (2x24" 1440p+32" 4k) was a pain. KWin didn't respect layout set in KDE settings and in X11 at all. I haven't tried if things become better with Wayland though.
          GNOME is better with such setup even if it places windows outside of view port, funny enough all wrongly placed windows are pure GNOME's apps
          Last edited by blacknova; 28 August 2021, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
            Running KDE with 3 displays (2x24" 1440p+32" 4k) was a pain. KWin didn't respect layout set in KDE settings and in X11 at all. I haven't tried if things become better with Wayland though.
            GNOME is better with such setup even if it places windows outside of view port, funny enough all wrongly placed windows are pure GNOME's apps
            I run KDE with 3 UHD monitors + 1 HD projector (no always on), and it works great... with X11, because Wayland still has issues related to screen selection for krunner and full-screen programs.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

I run KDE with 3 UHD monitors + 1 HD projector (no always on), and it works great... with X11, because Wayland still has issues related to screen selection for krunner and full-screen programs.
              Might be cause you have same size monitors, I have monitors side by side with large one in the middle, all in landscape mode. The 32" monitor is the main. All things functioned more or less correctly, but the one thing moving windows from one monitor to another with shortcuts, suddenly the setup layout ignored and kwin treat display in some strange order, and window from leftmost monitor can appear on rightmost when you expect it to appear in the middle. Layout was at first setup in KDE settings and than with nvidia-settings written to xorg.conf.

Comment

Not only is it great that Nate and the crew keep grinding it out, but that Nate takes the time to let people know what is going on. Great job.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Might be cause you have same size monitors, I have monitors side by side with large one in the middle, all in landscape mode. The 32" monitor is the main. All things functioned more or less correctly, but the one thing moving windows from one monitor to another with shortcuts, suddenly the setup layout ignored and kwin treat display in some strange order, and window from leftmost monitor can appear on rightmost when you expect it to appear in the middle. Layout was at first setup in KDE settings and than with nvidia-settings written to xorg.conf.
                  Well, the projector does not have the same definition as the monitors, and I have no issue moving windows to and from it. I do not use shortcuts to move, however, so the issue might come from the shortcuts system. I also notice you are using a GPU from the green devil, Nvidia, with their proprietary driver. This is likely to be the cause of the issue ; I have an AMD GPU with AMDGPU (that nameā€¦ but at least it works).

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  Not only is it great that Nate and the crew keep grinding it out, but that Nate takes the time to let people know what is going on. Great job.
                  And Nate is even answering on Phoronix forum (ngraham), as is bridgman for AMD.
                  Last edited by ALRBP; 28 August 2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

ngraham Sorry for the ping raid, but do you for instance know if there's been news from the inert scrolling front?

Comment

Working...
                    X