"Apps For GNOME" Launches To Highlight GNOME Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way too many Gnome apps are just NIH.

I know Gnome apps devs and Gnome devs are not always overlapping, but in my opinion some apps (Boxes, Web/Epiphany, Maps, Photos, Evince, and others) are a total waste of resources only used by a negligible handful of users (at least 3 much better alternatives exist for each of those).
    Redirecting those resources would be very useful to help with the burden of maintenance of configuration options on Gnome itself. And Gnome desperately needs the flexibility, as highlighted by the vast majority of comments here and there.

Comment

I truly did not expect this - but I am using none of the shown apps.
      They all look extremely... simplistic... like simple mobile phone apps.
      Mobile apps or a "press button"-wrapper for half a single line at the console, that what a good portion of them are.
      Aside from the dev apps only Gaphor looks like it can do more complex and productive stuff.

Also images for Kooha are sadly broken.

But overall a nice idea to showcase some of the more tightly to the whole experience bound apps.
      Last edited by reba; 26 August 2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Looks pretty nice! Good idea to have a page like this even though it's not very populated atm.

Edit: wow, way to be picky, GNOME! A few of the apps I translated show up as “Partially translated” only because I didn't translate a couple of older changelog strings. The apps themselves are fully translated, though, so that should count as ‘Full translation’ rather than ‘Partial translation’.

Edit 2: and one app shows up as “Not translated” even though I've translated it fully a long time ago and am maintaining it ever since… Every release of it contains my translation.
        And one other app also shows up as “Not translated” even though I fully translated it a while ago and the summary on the page even contains excerpts from my translation!

Edit 3: it would also be nice to have a list view instead of a grid view.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 26 August 2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          I know Gnome apps devs and Gnome devs are not always overlapping, but in my opinion some apps (Boxes, Web/Epiphany, Maps, Photos, Evince, and others) are a total waste of resources only used by a negligible handful of users (at least 3 much better alternatives exist for each of those).
          Redirecting those resources...
          Here we go again. You know, we have already been through this discussion before. How do you "redirect resources" of mostly volunteers? You don't. And regarding Epiphany, the main developer works for the company Egalia. Apparently they have some sort of financial motive for working on Epiphany.

EDIT:

Community Power Part 1: Misconceptions

People new to the GNOME community often have a hard time understanding how we set goals, make decisions, assume responsibility, prioritize tasks, and so on. In short: They wonder where the power is.
          When you don’t know how something works it’s natural to come up with a plausible story based on the available information. For example, some people intuitively assume that since our product is similar in function and appearance to those made by the Apples and Microsofts of the world, we must also be organized in a similar way.

This leads them to think that GNOME is developed by a centralized company with a hierarchical structure, where developers are assigned tasks by their manager, based on a roadmap set by higher management, with a marketing department coordinating public-facing messaging, and so on. Basically, they think we’re a tech company.

This in turn leads to things like
          • People making customer service style complaints, like they would to a company whose product they bought
          • General confusion around how resources are allocated (“Why are they working on X when they don’t even have Y?”)
          • Blaming/praising the GNOME Foundation for specific things to do with the product"
          Last edited by tomas; 26 August 2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

Here we go again. You know, we have already been through this discussion before. How do you "redirect resources" of mostly volunteers? You don't. And regarding Epiphany, the main developer works for the company Egalia. Apparently they have some sort of financial motive for working on Epiphany.
            I still wish Ephinany merged with Eolie. Eolie is a much better version of Epiphany with a couple more features while still being simple enough for kids and grandparents to use.

Comment

i hope they port some useful app to linux to someday

sad they only work in gnome

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Way too many Gnome apps are just NIH.

Redirecting those resources would be very useful to help with the burden of maintenance of configuration options on Gnome itself. And Gnome desperately needs the flexibility, as highlighted by the vast majority of comments here and there.
                I use Evince for viewing and printing work stuff. What better alternatives are there?

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                  Out of this list of apps I am very fond of the following:
                  Gedit
                  Gnome Disks
                  Gnome Fonts
                  Disk Usage Analyser (baobab)
                  Gnome Boxes

No matter what distro or DE I am on, these apps follow.
                  Not that i don't like the other apps. These are just my goto apps for what they do.
                  I absolutely HATE the fact that Windows doesn't have a Disk Usage Analyzer built into it. I seriously use that app all the time on Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I think this website is great! 😍🥰

I found some great software over there, such as markdown editor Apostrophe, and diagram editor Gaphor, the pomodoro app Solanum.

There so many great GNOME / GTK applications! I love it! ❤
                    Totally agree. I learned about some great apps I didn't know existed.

Comment

I use XFCE and make it a point to avoid GNOME apps -;(. With CSD they look funny on the XFCE desktop. But occasionally I try out epiphany-browser to see what the gnome developers are up to and I have to say that it must be worst browser for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X