GNOME 41 Beta Released With "Calls" SIP/VoIP Support, Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Geary is unusable for me. I need an email center to have fully featured, fully supported PGP implementation front and centre.
    Plus, we all have a serious and a newsletter/onlineshopping registering email account. Maybe even a garbage one for dubious stuff and the spam that comes with it. Being able to merge them all while still distinguishing them is a must. No merged inbox in Geary, no go.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      GNOME Calls seems like a good step. Most of the current SIP clients are basically unusable, on most platforms. I end up using the BareSIP CLI. Having LTE/GSM calls (oFono) and SIP calls through the same interface would be an upgrade over both iOS and Android, on GNOME-based phones.
      Imagine if it had support for RCS (the successor to SMS and MMS) too.

Originally posted by Cotyso View Post
      I hoped that the adwaita redesign will make it in gnome 41. Hopefully it will be included in version 42
      Oh, this looks interesting.

Geary is unusable for me. I need an email center to have fully featured, fully supported PGP implementation front and centre.
      Yeah and the client needs to be sandboxed so it safe against hackers and exploits.

Comment

Originally posted by ruff View Post

Calls uses ModemManager instead of oFono but otherwise yes, over the same interface.
        Ah, I thought I found the GNOME Calls repository here https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/calls and it seems to say in the README that it has an oFono backend.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post

Kmail's Akonadi EWS module has been around for ages - it has a handful of bugs, but its definitely usable
          Once I've lost ~2Hrs trying to get it working, but I had severe issues with calendar integration, so I gave up. Evolution works really well, though.

Comment

Ewww, you are right, this really looks like it is going into a bad direction.
            Now you can't even determine if that text is just a label, an action-button, a checkbox (gray backdrop), etc. Next step: they drop the down arrow for combo-boxes.
            They also should make up their mind if they want to go the icon-only route or the text-only route or the mixed-between they sometimes use, it's inconsistent. Is there a way to choose between having text-only or icon-only?

And what's the meaning of a blue background (Scan (blue) <-> Open (not))?

And why does the "Cacnel" button have a background color?

Comment

> - GDM now allows user sessions for single GPU vendor NVIDIA systems.

Seems a "wayland" is missing in this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Now you can't even determine if that text is just a label, an action-button, a checkbox (gray backdrop), etc. Next step: they drop the down arrow for combo-boxes.
                They also should make up their mind if they want to go the icon-only route or the text-only route or the mixed-between they sometimes use, it's inconsistent. Is there a way to choose between having text-only or icon-only?

Scan is blue because it is a primary button.
                Open is not blue because it is an ordinary button.

I don't know why the Cancel button has a background color, maybe it is because it only have text which might make it difficult to determine if its just a label or a button. The other buttons either have an icon or a dropdown chevron or something that indicates that it is some type of button.

Comment

Geary is bad joke compared to Evolution. Geary is a simple email client and Evolution is powerful tool for personal organization with support for Microsoft technologies.

If Evolution dies I think I could use GNOME Calendar app, but for email I would move to Thunderbird.

And it seems that GNOME 41 will improve Wayland support, but there isn't official DMA-BUF support for Radeon GPUs yet.

Comment

And what's the meaning of a blue background (Scan (blue) &lt;-&gt; Open (not))?

At first glance I think someone fucked up. Cancel, and Close, is done with their semi-transparent toggle style background. Since both close the window they're technically not toggle buttons and shouldn't be using that visual style.

Well, I read the fine text in the picture and apparently Cancel and Close get a special pass in regards to the semi-transparent background stuff to make them easier to distinguish visually.

How about making the fuckers use a Bright Red X like everyone else?

Also, Tabs use that same semi-transparent style. Basically, if it's semi-transparent that's where the GNOME design team ran out of ideas to make different visual cues.

So, to answer your first question -- they just ain't had the time to make Scan and Open semi-transparent.

Comment

Also, isn't everyone sick of blue buttons, switches, toggles and highlights? I just can't bear that blue anymore.

Then the border-radius of those corners makes adwaita irrelevant in itself for any decent use, it looks way too childish.

Finally, we already see the limit of that all-for-CSD-none-for-settigs strategy, the bar is already getting crammed to a point buttons and text are not set apart enough from the next to be spottable at first sight. Soon enough, you're going to spend time finding the buttons you're looking for, especially since they are not at the same place from an app to the next.

Whether Gnome devs like it or not, theming for Gnome is an absolute necessity.

Comment

Working...
                      X