GNOME 41 Beta Released With "Calls" SIP/VoIP Support, Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 41 Beta Released With "Calls" SIP/VoIP Support, Wayland Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME 41 Beta Released With "Calls" SIP/VoIP Support, Wayland Improvements

The GNOME 41 beta is now available ahead of next month's official half-year update to this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So GNOME Disk Utility is using LUKES2, eh

Comment

GNOME Calendar can now open up ICS files - such wow in 2021
      GNOME Disk Utility now uses LUKS2 for new encrypted partitions - such wow 3,5 years later

Comment

GNOME Calls seems like a good step. Most of the current SIP clients are basically unusable, on most platforms. I end up using the BareSIP CLI. Having LTE/GSM calls (oFono) and SIP calls through the same interface would be an upgrade over both iOS and Android, on GNOME-based phones.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          GNOME Calls seems like a good step..
          I think this is mostly courtesy of purism. Good move tough.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            GNOME Calendar can now open up ICS files - such wow in 2021
            GNOME Disk Utility now uses LUKS2 for new encrypted partitions - such wow 3,5 years later
            Well it kind of seems to me like Gnome is trying to split up Evolution, but it's slow going. Geary for email, Calendar for... well Calendar.

But Evolution is still the only free email client that has the equivalent to Outlook features and will work with Exchange / Office365 (unless Kmail finally made that improvement, but I doubt it, email clients are not 'glorious'. Hell even Microsoft can't be bothered to not make Outlook the worse software I've ever used.)

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
              unless Kmail finally made that improvement, but I doubt it, email clients are not 'glorious'
              Kmail's Akonadi EWS module has been around for ages - it has a handful of bugs, but its definitely usable

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                Having LTE/GSM calls (oFono) and SIP calls through the same interface would be an upgrade over both iOS and Android, on GNOME-based phones.
                Calls uses ModemManager instead of oFono but otherwise yes, over the same interface.

Comment

I hoped that the adwaita redesign would make it in gnome 41. Hopefully it will be included in version 42.

edit: grammar
                  Last edited by Cotyso; 24 August 2021, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                    Well it kind of seems to me like Gnome is trying to split up Evolution, but it's slow going. Geary for email, Calendar for... well Calendar.

But Evolution is still the only free email client that has the equivalent to Outlook features and will work with Exchange / Office365 (unless Kmail finally made that improvement, but I doubt it, email clients are not 'glorious'. Hell even Microsoft can't be bothered to not make Outlook the worse software I've ever used.)
                    Geary is unusable for me. I need an email center to have fully featured, fully supported PGP implementation front and centre.

Comment

Working...
                    X