Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HighValueWarrior
    replied
    Is there an approximate time frame for wayland to be the default ?

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    The GNOME devs could learn a thing or two about how to make a useful Overview Effect. It might be little a little thing, but, for me, the psychological effect of losing the taskbar and all it's spiffy features when going into Overview Modes makes me not like Overview Modes. I get the feeling that I'm being pulled away from what I'm doing when everything goes away and I'm given a list of windows to choose from; like someone came by my desk and is asking me what I like more. When the taskbar stays I feel like I'm doing an overview of my work area and choosing something else to work on. Amazing the psychological effect that 48-72 pixels can have.

Overview with a taskbar? That's what up
    Imho the GNOME Overview is miles ahead of whats in MacOS and Windows

Leave a comment:

• jaypatelani
    replied
    Okay. I have to admit KDE is on fire

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    There is a lot of good stuff in here. Thanks to the devs.

Leave a comment:

• AHOY
    replied
    I love having to squint for ten minutes to find which copy of my 30 identical windows I want to select without using muscle memory. There isn't a single overview feature in any OS that does it right, if that's even possible. It's like it was made for people who only use Netflix, Spotify and Microsoft Edge. Latte sipping touchpad enthusiasts.

The feature is good because it will make it easier to migrate from lesser DEs since they love that kind of crap. I'm glad they are implementing it.

Leave a comment:

• holunder
    replied
    I’m glad that the Present Windows effect gets touched again. But I have a few fears about copying macOS’ approach: Firstly, it is incredibly useful to present windows of all workspaces simultaneously (if you want it). I currently have a screen corner (and mouse button via xbindkeysrc + touch gesture via libinput-gestures) to activate Present Windows of all workspaces. And two other corners for current workspace only and current application only. That’s not for everyone, but a mighty tool for a power user. If macOS’ (and Gnome’s) view becomes the new standard, I cannot see all my open windows of all workspaces at once. If this new concept boils down to just a workspace miniature view at the top in addition to the current effect and you still can choose to either show only current workspace windows or all workspace windows, it could be an okay way. I understand that Apple’s approach is the way to go for notebooks with smaller screens than a PC monitor and probably more intuitive, but it’s not the best for everyone. Also eliminating the grid effect doesn’t sound wise from a desktop power user perspective. It’s super convenient to see all your open windows _on_ their workspaces in an e.g. 1:4 scale factor. Way better to work with than tiny workspace previews like in macOS and Gnome. I hate to be the conservative voice here but I just want to point out to this rather delicate workflow intervention and would advice to do this with much caution and community feedback.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Better clipboard for Wayland session is most welcome. I hope it will finally work for images too in the not too distant future.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    The GNOME devs could learn a thing or two about how to make a useful Overview Effect. It might be little a little thing, but, for me, the psychological effect of losing the taskbar and all its spiffy features when going into Overview Modes makes me not like Overview Modes. I get the feeling that I'm being pulled away from what I'm doing when everything goes away and I'm given a list of windows to choose from; like someone came by my desk and is asking me what I like more. When the taskbar stays I feel like I'm doing an overview of my work area and choosing something else to work on. Amazing the psychological effect that 48-72 pixels can have.

Overview with a taskbar? That's what up
    Last edited by skeevy420; 21 August 2021, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    Decent amount of cool updates. Now I'm really looking forward to try 5.23.

For a long time I felt like both preview and desktop grid effects beg for being replaced. So glad you've devs picked that up, thanks!
    Last edited by bple2137; 21 August 2021, 10:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KDE Plasma Introduces A New Overview Effect, Many Wayland Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Introduces A New Overview Effect, Many Wayland Fixes

It's been another busy week in KDE land with the seemingly never ending improvements to the Plasma Wayland session as well as introducing some new features like a new Overview Effect...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X