X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by avem View Post

Does Wayland work with VESA/yet unknown graphics cards? No? Well, it automatically makes it unsuitable for everyone rocking the hardware which the kernel doesn't support directly. Strangely Xorg and Windows work in this case just fine. Must be something I don't understand about Wayland and its superiority.
    I don't know, however if they are limited cases it would not be a problem, nobody is saying not to ship Xorg as an alternative to Wayland, just to set Wayland as default, on the other hand Xorg is barely maintained and all efforts are on Wayland, like it or not.

Leave a comment:

• Damnshock
    replied
    Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
    Is there an approximate time frame for wayland to be the default ?
    In Fedora it's already the default :-)

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    The GNOME devs could learn a thing or two about how to make a useful Overview Effect.
    Is there a reason that the KDE folks are sharpening the rethorik?
    Is a good Gnome vs. KDE battle reminding you of better times for your DE?
    I doubt that there are currently many Gnome or wlroots developers looking to KDE thinking "hmm, yes, this is how we should do it".

Leave a comment:

• avem
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

It will be ready when it is ready, it would have been different if Gnome had also thought of the others by creating standards, but it wasn't like that. However I already use wayland daily with Plasma without problems, but I use the default configuration, so I imagine there are less problems than for those who customize it heavily. I remind you that there is currently no Ubuntu Lts that uses wayland by default.
    Does Wayland work with VESA/yet unknown graphics cards? No? Well, it automatically makes it unsuitable for everyone rocking the hardware which the kernel doesn't support directly. Strangely Xorg and Windows work in this case just fine. Must be something I don't understand about Wayland and its superiority.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    The GNOME devs could learn a thing or two about how to make a useful Overview Effect. It might be little a little thing, but, for me, the psychological effect of losing the taskbar and all its spiffy features when going into Overview Modes makes me not like Overview Modes. I get the feeling that I'm being pulled away from what I'm doing when everything goes away and I'm given a list of windows to choose from; like someone came by my desk and is asking me what I like more. When the taskbar stays I feel like I'm doing an overview of my work area and choosing something else to work on. Amazing the psychological effect that 48-72 pixels can have.

Overview with a taskbar? That's what up
    GNOME Classic session already provide that approach for these specific users depending of the distribution (Fedora as an example).

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by avem View Post

"A few years from now Wayland will be ready". Don't forget to repeat every year.
    It will be ready when it is ready, it would have been different if Gnome had also thought of the others by creating standards, but it wasn't like that. However I already use wayland daily with Plasma without problems, but I use the default configuration, so I imagine there are less problems than for those who customize it heavily. I remind you that there is currently no Ubuntu Lts that uses wayland by default.

Leave a comment:

• Operius73
    replied
    Well, I like the time still being there (comfort food), having access to my clipboard tray while I have a full view of what's going on
    Ah, now that does makes sense to me. Never thought about using the overview to 'monitor' apllications instead of searching for them!

Leave a comment:

• avem
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Most of those are bugs and not lack of features, so I think we are close, in fact I think the next Plasma LTS will have default wayland, but I am not sure, you need to understand if you can bring wayland to a good experience for all use cases. Setting wayland as default will certainly speed up the resolution of some small bugs. However, don't forget that distributions will decide whether to have wayland as default or not, for example Fedora has already set it as default, Ubuntu latest LTS with Gnome is still under Xorg.
    "A few years from now Wayland will be ready". Don't forget to repeat every year.

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Originally posted by AHOY View Post
    I love having to squint for ten minutes to find which copy of my 30 identical windows I want to select without using muscle memory. There isn't a single overview feature in any OS that does it right, if that's even possible. It's like it was made for people who only use Netflix, Spotify and Microsoft Edge. Latte sipping touchpad enthusiasts.

The feature is good because it will make it easier to migrate from lesser DEs since they love that kind of crap. I'm glad they are implementing it.
    On kde you can filter windows based on window title by simply typing. No need to squint.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Operius73 View Post

It only shows how different people are. To me it feels counter productive to have the taskbar taking up space to present my windows. To me it's confusing that you feel like you are leaving your desktop, and find it distracting even. Like you feel that if you open your webbrowser you feel distracted because you cant see your terminal anymore. I can only focus on one thing at the time.

Anyway, I don't mind if this gets to be the default behaviour so we both can be happy!
    Yep. That's what drew me in to using KDE. It lets me be me while letting you be you, both of us doing completely different setups, and both of us being happy with different outcomes.

Well, I like the time still being there (comfort food), having access to my clipboard tray while I have a full view of what's going on (really helpful), being able to mute if loud audio starts, receive notifications, access right click taskbar menus, etc. It's sort of a cross between a chooser and a planner (if it's like how Windows 11 works) and not just a full screen program picker. When all that goes away I feel like I'm in a different, limited environment, even if it's just for a few seconds.

Ideally they'll have the old way and the new way so we'll all be happy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X