KDE Plasma Introduces A New Overview Effect, Many Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I don't know, however if they are limited cases it would not be a problem, nobody is saying not to ship Xorg as an alternative to Wayland, just to set Wayland as default, on the other hand Xorg is barely maintained and all efforts are on Wayland, like it or not.
    I like barely maintained projects which just work. Do you expect e.g. cat, awk, tr to be actively maintained? Well, I guess Xorg is featureful enough not to be actively maintained any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

I like barely maintained projects which just work. Do you expect e.g. cat, awk, tr to be actively maintained? Well, I guess Xorg is featureful enough not to be actively maintained any longer.
      Keep using Xorg, nobody is banning it and the day distributions won't ship it anymore, you can always pack it yourself. A greeting.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
        Is there a reason that the KDE folks are sharpening the rethorik?
        Is a good Gnome vs. KDE battle reminding you of better times for your DE?
        I doubt that there are currently many Gnome or wlroots developers looking to KDE thinking "hmm, yes, this is how we should do it".
        I doubt there are currently many developers looking to GNOME and thinking anything positive about the project. Vanilla GNOME sucks if you need to work with more than one program at a time.

It's like someone looked at an Android Phone and went "One App at a time. Brilliant." and then programmed the environment so horribly awful that 10 years later that there's a cult following around one person making the performance suck less.....I play AAA games with lower system requirements than GNOME.

Comment

Is there a reason that the KDE folks are sharpening the rethorik?
          Is a good Gnome vs. KDE battle reminding you of better times for your DE?
          I doubt that there are currently many Gnome or wlroots developers looking to KDE thinking "hmm, yes, this is how we should do it".
          Of course not. They only accept their own all-new squared wheels for their doorless cars. You'll read everything about it in This Week In KNOME's Bizarro World.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            I doubt there are currently many developers looking to GNOME and thinking anything positive about the project. Vanilla GNOME sucks if you need to work with more than one program at a time.

It's like someone looked at an Android Phone and went "One App at a time. Brilliant." and then programmed the environment so horribly awful that 10 years later that there's a cult following around one person making the performance suck less.....I play AAA games with lower system requirements than GNOME.
            Sure. I'm perfectly fine using _a lot_ of applications at the same time on Vanilla Gnome. I actually find it better integrated than Win or Mac but this is certainly preference.
            You don't seem to agree. So what? Every decent distro comes with a number of DEs.

My question was simply because it appears that the Gnome community is more or less at peace with the fact that there are other DEs that do things differently and we don't live in a monoculture. We all benefit from this...
            Last edited by mppix; 23 August 2021, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Sure. I'm perfectly fine using _a lot_ of applications at the same time on Vanilla Gnome. I actually find it better integrated than Win or Mac but this is certainly preference.
              You don't seem to agree. So what? Every decent distro comes with a number of DEs.

My question was simply because it appears that the Gnome community is more or less at piece with the fact that there are other DEs that do things differently and we don't live in a monoculture. We all benefit from this...
              If by "at piece" (peace?), you mean they break every possible integration every chance they get, with no consideration, then I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                "at piece" (peace?)
                Ops, corrected, thx.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                If by "at piece" (peace?), you mean they break every possible integration every chance they get, with no consideration, then I agree.
                Integration of what exactly?

Comment

I don't know, however if they are limited cases it would not be a problem, nobody is saying not to ship Xorg as an alternative to Wayland, just to set Wayland as default, on the other hand Xorg is barely maintained and all efforts are on Wayland, like it or not.
                  Like it or not distributions tend to ship windowing systems that don't have regressions or missing features, so yeah don't be surprised if Xorg remains default until its ironed out more.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Like it or not distributions tend to ship windowing systems that don't have regressions or missing features, so yeah don't be surprised if Xorg remains default until its ironed out more.
                    But nobody wrote the opposite, in fact I wrote that I assume that wayland will be set by default in Plasma, when it will have the same functionality as Xorg. , I also wrote that distributions will decide it. But it seems that here we just want to make controversy ...

Comment

But nobody wrote the opposite, in fact I wrote that I assume that wayland will be set by default in Plasma, when it will have the same functionality as Xorg. , I also wrote that distributions will decide it. But it seems that here we just want to make controversy ...
                      Ultimately, it doesn't even matter what's the Plasma default, it's not like distros are too lazy to set their own defaults.
                      And distros will switch gradually, the more adventurous first (and that's how it should be).

My main concern is that we're still talking whether we can get the DE working fine on Wayland, ignoring the fact that precious little applications have switched. Apps will come with their own quirks, all but ensuring we'll drag XWayland with us for at least another decade.

Comment

Working...
                      X