KDE Plasma Introduces A New Overview Effect, Many Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
    Is there an approximate time frame for wayland to be the default ?
    I guess to become the default wayland, all things that work in Xorg will have to work in Wayland. I believe this is the condition ... with Plasma 5.23 we are getting very close. The thing that bothers me most when using Pasma-Wayland is the lack of an animation when you click on the icon to start an application, it may seem trivial but it is not. Well now this functionality finally comes with Plasma 5.23, they had to create a library and a wayland API and finally there we are, some of this work will also be useful to other DEs like XFCE, if Gnome did a standard of this type, they would not have wasted time.

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
      Is there an approximate time frame for wayland to be the default ?
      Right after davdiededmdunoson adds their krash recovery thing to all places required and right after KDE finishes more Wayland protocols that other people should have done a few years ago. I wouldn't use it before that. Their own showstoppers list aside.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I guess to become the default wayland, all things that work in Xorg will have to work in Wayland. I believe this is the condition ... with Plasma 5.23 we are getting very close. The thing that bothers me most when using Pasma-Wayland is the lack of an animation when you click on the icon to start an application, it may seem trivial but it is not. Well now this functionality finally comes with Plasma 5.23, they had to create a library and a wayland API and finally there we are, some of this work will also be useful to other DEs like XFCE, if Gnome did a standard of this type, they would not have wasted time.
        No, we're not: https://community.kde.org/index.php?...d_Showstoppers
        Somehow, that list is now longer than I remember it.

Comment

- the middle-click-paste now works under plasma's wayland session between wayland and xwayland applications.

yeaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!1!1!!!!!!!

Comment

"Middle-click paste in Wayland"... is absolutely a winner for me. I couldn't stand being stranded in a Wayland session and not being able to MMB click paste. I tried, but by the end of that same day I had to go back to X. It felt like I was stuck on a Windows machine!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

No, we're not: https://community.kde.org/index.php?...d_Showstoppers
              Somehow, that list is now longer than I remember it.
              Most of those are bugs and not lack of features, so I think we are close, in fact I think the next Plasma LTS will have default wayland, but I am not sure, you need to understand if you can bring wayland to a good experience for all use cases. Setting wayland as default will certainly speed up the resolution of some small bugs. However, don't forget that distributions will decide whether to have wayland as default or not, for example Fedora has already set it as default, Ubuntu latest LTS with Gnome is still under Xorg.
              Last edited by Charlie68; 22 August 2021, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                It might be little a little thing, but, for me, the psychological effect of losing the taskbar and all its spiffy features when going into Overview Modes makes me not like Overview Modes. I get the feeling that I'm being pulled away from what I'm doing:
                I had to watch the video 3 times to see what all the excitement was all about. Ah, first the unselected windows dimmed a little bit, and now they do not. And the taskbar stays visible.
                You seem to be happy about the latter, but why? Isn't the point of the overview to look for an open window? So when I press a key to get this overview my eyes are looking at the presented windows to look for the one I need. What use is it then to still have the taskbar visible?

Comment

Originally posted by Operius73 View Post

I had to watch the video 3 times to see what all the excitement was all about. Ah, first the unselected windows dimmed a little bit, and now they do not. And the taskbar stays visible.
                  You seem to be happy about the latter, but why? Isn't the point of the overview to look for an open window? So when I press a key to get this overview my eyes are looking at the presented windows to look for the one I need. What use is it then to still have the taskbar visible?
                  For me, when the taskbar goes away I feel like my desktop is going away. Like I'm going from multi-task desktop to single-task. I actually get that same feeling whenever I run any fullscreen program that removes the taskbar. Depending on what I'm doing removing the taskbar either brings a constraining, limiting feeling or makes me feel focused in. When I'm doing a task requiring a bunch of windows I don't necessarily like the taskbar going away because it's literally part of my workflow so taking it out to show me some windows takes away some of my focus. If I'm going to be writing for a long time, playing a game, or any other single task, single program situation the taskbar is a distraction to begin with so I'll probably switch it over to autohide.

When there's no taskbar I also feel like I'm looking at an Android Recent Apps screen with taskbar-less Present Windows effects.

What's the point of these effects? The nitty gritty, simplest point? While it's probably different for everyone, for me it's to show what all windows are available when I'm in a multitask clusterfuck...especially grouped icon clusterfucks. I don't need the jarring feeling of leaving my desktop for my windows to be shrunk, grouped, and presented to me in an easy to choose manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Imho the GNOME Overview is miles ahead of whats in MacOS and Windows
                    Frankly, I like the one on Windows 11. Click a button on my taksbar and I'm presented with a nice overview of what's running...and for a big plus the animation makes it seem like it's coming out of my taskbar.

I've never even seen the MacOS one in action. Haven't used a Mac since 2002 on a friend's blue iMac G3.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      I don't need the jarring feeling of leaving my desktop for my windows to be shrunk, grouped, and presented to me in an easy to choose manner.
                      It only shows how different people are. To me it feels counter productive to have the taskbar taking up space to present my windows. To me it's confusing that you feel like you are leaving your desktop, and find it distracting even. Like you feel that if you open your webbrowser you feel distracted because you cant see your terminal anymore. I can only focus on one thing at the time.

Anyway, I don't mind if this gets to be the default behaviour so we both can be happy!

Comment

Working...
                      X