GNOME's Magnifier Will Now Avoid Double Painting The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

I am visually impaired as well and I also have to rely on full-screen desktop zoom, especially when using a laptop. Of course, even if I do use a magnifier in my laptop, I dislike that the laptop's screen is fixed to the keyboard, so I cannot move the screen closer to me without bending and hurting my back in the process. Laptops are cool, but because of my visual impairment, if I have to use the screen to read, I simply do not like laptops.
    Same here.
    However, I can recommend a monitor arm though.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

Because Daniel Van Vugt is the developer who pushed (with code) the most to improve the performance of GNOME Shell? I don't like Canonical politics, but we have to recognize if GNOME Shell is fixing its problems with performance is mainly thanks to Canonical and specially Daniel Van Vugt.
      One thing is to highlight performance improvements, the second is to show current GNOME work made by multiple of developers. Here are in progress release notes for 41: https://gitlab.gnome.org/Teams/Engag...es/-/issues/29

I use gnome, and I don't use magnifier so this change isn't really improvement for me. Thing is, the train of overhaul gnome performance improvements is long gone, it improved significantly until 3.38, now it's mostly fixes of created mistakes made along 40 in gnome-shell. No groundbreaking performance merge requests. But, there is significant work done in gnome-settings or gnome-software which is worth highlighting.

These days gnome just works, and there are actual people that make it worth using.

Comment

Originally posted by mcqigo View Post
        Thing is, the train of overhaul gnome performance improvements is long gone, it improved significantly until 3.38, now it's mostly fixes of created mistakes made along 40 in gnome-shell. No groundbreaking performance merge requests.
        On the contrary. Performance-wise, while mutter has improved significantly, GNOME Shell still is a dead weight (here's an example https://youtu.be/JtZpYqTKDAg , for comparison mutter standalone https://youtu.be/I0oz_JNyTqs ). BTW. Dan single-handedly fixed most of GNOME 40 performance regressions, and there is a "groundbreaking" MR on the way (mutter!1441).

Originally posted by mcqigo View Post
        These days gnome just works, and there are actual people that make it worth using.
        I've the opposite experience, and just switched to sway, because since 40, GNOME is absolutely unreliable. My coredumpctl shows 205 gnome-shell crashes since May 3!
        Last edited by gedgon; 21 August 2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuukD View Post

Same here.
          However, I can recommend a monitor arm though.
          I am using a monitor arm just to have my monitor close to me. My monitor is about 3 to 5 inches away from me.

Comment

Allah^W144mhz be praised!!!!

Comment

Ah. wasting time and effort on the most useless desktop environment in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Sorry but the comparison doesn't hold up, Nate Graham works for KDE and his blog lists the contributors of the various changes.
                Daniel works for Canonical, not Gnome and the only changes mentioned are his.
                I don't get it how it doesn't hold up, to me you just confirmed what I have said, Michael only posts about Daniel because it's easier for him to pick up interesting patches with less work, instead of Nate which his work IS to highlight what everyone have done 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

I don't get it how it doesn't hold up, to me you just confirmed what I have said, Michael only posts about Daniel because it's easier for him to pick up interesting patches with less work, instead of Nate which his work IS to highlight what everyone have done 🤔
                  Sorry, I didn't know Michael worked for canonical or Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                  X