GNOME's Magnifier Will Now Avoid Double Painting The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
    I miss the times where you could just zoom in on the area of the mouse cursor with Super+Mouse Wheel in compiz.
    It is shameful how much the desktop experience has regressed in the last 10 years, both in terms of functionality and performance.
    This magnifier tool seems decent enough, but it's not the same.
    You mean something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      I am glad that a Canonical developer contributes, what I don't understand is why he is always given all this visibility, while dozens of other developers remain in the shadows, while always doing the bulk of the work. This is what I generally call injustice.
      I understand and support what you're saying. I had to giggle nevertheless. You expect "justice" in this world? This, good sir, is a delusion of epic proportions.

Comment

I am glad that a Canonical developer contributes, what I don't understand is why he is always given all this visibility, while dozens of other developers remain in the shadows, while always doing the bulk of the work. This is what I generally call injustice.
        While I agree that it is a bit unfair, it's not like it's different in other places. Who do you think gets visibility for a new iPhone: Tim Cook or the dozens of engineers working behind the scenes? And cars? And clothes? Everyone but the people doing the actual work get all the credit.

Comment

Because he pretty much only focuses on performance issues.

Meanwhile the other devs focus on so many more things, which do include performance bugs but they get shadowed by everything else.

Comment

Well, that's because the news were generated by Michael, which knows that Daniel mainly working in perf issues, make it easier for him to check just his patches and notify about it here in Phoronix.

KDE have Nate Graham doing weekly newsletter, highlighting everyone involved in the changes

Comment

Will Nataniel Von Burger add thumbnails to the filepicker? Next week on Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by LuukD View Post
                Thank you Daniel! Thank you for improving accessibility support on the Linux desktop.
                I am a grateful user of 'full desktop zoom' as I depend on it because my optic nerve does a really poor job. I could not do without desktop zoom. I am currently on xfce which has excellent support out of the box. But I am happy to learn Gnome is improving!
                Some ~10+ years ago, when I became visually impaired, one could choose between unbearably-slow 'orca' or the crash-happy 'compiz' compositor. Things have improved but I would like to see more compositors add similar support.
                I am visually impaired as well and I also have to rely on full-screen desktop zoom, especially when using a laptop. Of course, even if I do use a magnifier in my laptop, I dislike that the laptop's screen is fixed to the keyboard, so I cannot move the screen closer to me without bending and hurting my back in the process. Laptops are cool, but because of my visual impairment, if I have to use the screen to read, I simply do not like laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Well, that's because the news were generated by Michael, which knows that Daniel mainly working in perf issues, make it easier for him to check just his patches and notify about it here in Phoronix.

KDE have Nate Graham doing weekly newsletter, highlighting everyone involved in the changes
                  Sorry but the comparison doesn't hold up, Nate Graham works for KDE and his blog lists the contributors of the various changes.
                  Daniel works for Canonical, not Gnome and the only changes mentioned are his.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

I understand and support what you're saying. I had to giggle nevertheless. You expect "justice" in this world? This, good sir, is a delusion of epic proportions.
                    We agree on this! It is a terribly unfair world, but making it a little fairer at least when there are no economic interests involved, would not be bad!

Then I saw other answers, like "is it because it deals with performance" really? and to those who care about security what should we do to them, a monument?

Or "it is a little unfair, but after all there are so many unfair things" which is a bit like saying everyone steals so I am only entitled to steal too! You are fantastic.

Comment

This is great news! The alternative would be that nobody fixed these issues, so with that said a big thank you to Daniel is deserved!

Comment

Working...
                      X