Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Magnifier Will Now Avoid Double Painting The Desktop

Phoronix: GNOME's Magnifier Will Now Avoid Double Painting The Desktop

Canonical's Daniel Van Vugt continues working on some important performance fixes for the GNOME desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am glad that a Canonical developer contributes, what I don't understand is why he is always given all this visibility, while dozens of other developers remain in the shadows, while always doing the bulk of the work. This is what I generally call injustice.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      I am glad that a Canonical developer contributes, what I don't understand is why he is always given all this visibility, while dozens of other developers remain in the shadows, while always doing the bulk of the work. This is what I generally call injustice.
      True, I imagine it is because all the individual contributors writing and improving Linux are too busy writing code, doing the actual work and don't have an entire PR team to advertise them.

They also have nothing to gain from it. No ulterior business driven motive unlike many of these corporate entities.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
        Because Daniel Van Vugt is the developer who pushed (with code) the most to improve the performance of GNOME Shell? I don't like Canonical politics, but we have to recognize if GNOME Shell is fixing its problems with performance is mainly thanks to Canonical and specially Daniel Van Vugt.

Comment

GNOME's performance was atrocious before Canonical and Daniel barged in 4 years ago. They aren't the only ones doing that type of work today, but they certainly lit a fire under the rest of GNOME devs. That and the fact suddenly GNOME was the default desktop on the most popular linux distribution, attracting millions of new users from one day to another.

Comment

I miss the times where you could just zoom in on the area of the mouse cursor with Super+Mouse Wheel in compiz.
            It is shameful how much the desktop experience has regressed in the last 10 years, both in terms of functionality and performance.
            This magnifier tool seems decent enough, but it's not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

Because Daniel Van Vugt is the developer who pushed (with code) the most to improve the performance of GNOME Shell? I don't like Canonical politics, but we have to recognize if GNOME Shell is fixing its problems with performance is mainly thanks to Canonical and specially Daniel Van Vugt.
              There is not just Daniel in terms of Fixing Mutter and the Shell in that ground breaking fashion.
              Though his patches include the most "drama", in terms they are often a bit questionable but always very interesting on a technical level and that creates a lot of discussion in the MR comments.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

It seems like a nonsense explanation to me, if Daniel Van Vugt is optimizing the performance of Gnome Shell it is because he found some code already written by someone else. Each contribution is an improvement, whether it be for functionality, performance or otherwise, if there were no other developers, Daniel Van Vugt optimized a fife.

Comment

Now we need developer(s) to improve functionality and pragmatic usability instead just writing nonsense Inhuman Interface Guidelines.

I tried Gnome too many times, then switched to others...

Comment

Thank you Daniel! Thank you for improving accessibility support on the Linux desktop.
                    I am a grateful user of 'full desktop zoom' as I depend on it because my optic nerve does a really poor job. I could not do without desktop zoom. I am currently on xfce which has excellent support out of the box. But I am happy to learn Gnome is improving!
                    Some ~10+ years ago, when I became visually impaired, one could choose between unbearably-slow 'orca' or the crash-happy 'compiz' compositor. Things have improved but I would like to see more compositors add similar support.

Comment

Working...
                    X