X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walterav
    replied
    Originally posted by ddriver View Post

My kudos go to bitwig, ... I've been using daws since the first versions of cakewalk, went through samplitude, cubase, studio one and ableton, and after some 25 years I finally found something decent, and it even works on linux. Of course, it is not perfect, but it is the best we've got in a niche that actually has strong and long standing competition.
    Thanks for referring "bitwig", didn't know of its existence unit now.

BTW did you know or have been able to compare this DAW to Davinci Resolve (Blackmagic Design) which not only is a video editor/grading but comes with "Fairlight" audio editing and also has "free" version for linux? It also supports ALSA now since version 17.3 besides proprietary IO hardware.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...t=1950#p782848

Leave a comment:

• lyamc
    replied
    I've been supporting Ardour. I wish the interface was a bit better, I also wish that I could change audio interfaces a bit easier from within the application but I understand that most professional applications don't have people just swapping stuff.

They've done a great job at producing a free DAW.

Leave a comment:

• prokoudine
    replied
    The point that was explicitly stated just for you to still somehow miss is, again, that "free" is just a naive label they put on yet another business model.
    Ardour is free-as-in-speech. Always has been, always will be. Subscription to get binaries didn't kick in until 2007, which is roughly 7 years into development. This is how they funded the development and it wasn't enough to sustain the development until Windows builds became available and officially supported. With source code still available under the terms of GPL.

All of us, the part of the community that wanted to see this project flourish, did our bit to support developers. So it's nice of you to deflect the attention from the point that you did nothing to contribute to make this project better, yet somehow you feel entitled to throw big words around.

If free-as-in-speech means nothing to you, why are you even here?

Leave a comment:

• ddriver
    replied
    Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Interesting how you bring up Blender and the financial support it gets. You don't sound like a person who contributed financially to make Ardour any less "mediocre". So I guess that makes you part of the problem.
    The point that was explicitly stated just for you to still somehow miss is, again, that "free" is just a naive label they put on yet another business model.

Except that it uses gtk. Bizzare troll.
    Yes, you evidently are. Because it doesn't need to use qt to be its contextual equivalent... doh...

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Also it's still locked to GTK+2 without any chance to port to something never any time soon

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    Ardour is the Qt of daws

Leave a comment:

• holunder
    replied
    fos
    Guy, it’s spelled FOSS, Free Open Source Software.

Leave a comment:

• BesiegedAce
    replied
    funny number

Leave a comment:

• prokoudine
    replied
    There doesn't seem to be much weight in the "free" as in "freedom" aspect of fos - over 15 years of fos ardour didn't bring a slew of daw excellence to linux, it is still basic and mediocre, and ultimately for fos to see something actually decent, that requires a substantial amount of investment, in a field that has the prospect of making good profits. Shocker - turns out, it is all about money as well. But hey at least "free" has a nice ring to it.
    Interesting how you bring up Blender and the financial support it gets. You don't sound like a person who contributed financially to make Ardour any less "mediocre". So I guess that makes you part of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4life
    replied
    As an LMMS user I wonder, does Ardour have groove quantisation ?

Or are here any coders who can add this to LMMS ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X