Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ardour 6.9 Digital Audio Workstation Released

Phoronix: Ardour 6.9 Digital Audio Workstation Released

Ardour as one of the leading open-source digital audio workstation (DAW) solutions is out with another new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ardour is the Qt of daws - it is quite easy to claim to be the best in a niche where there's no competition.

Alas, it is a "little too little and a little too late" - it offers nothing to really shine, it is a plain old multitrack, and sure - that has its uses, and it is better than nothing, but also, it is primitive by contemporary music workstation standard.

My kudos go to bitwig, which even if not fos, comes with powerful and innovative music making features and a decent collection of instruments and sounds. It is very good regardless of what you do - traditional multitrack production, live performances or creative music making. I've been using daws since the first versions of cakewalk, went through samplitude, cubase, studio one and ableton, and after some 25 years I finally found something decent, and it even works on linux. Of course, it is not perfect, but it is the best we've got in a niche that actually has strong and long standing competition.

It is a kind of a tradition for artistic fos apps - for stuff to be basic and outdated and anemic relative to the proprietary counterparts. There is one single application that I can honestly refer to as PRO level, and that's blender - and it came to be this way after a long period of mediocrity, and thanks to 3d movie studios dumping basically the same amount of money into its development as much as proprietary vendors pay their programmers.

There doesn't seem to be much weight in the "free" as in "freedom" aspect of fos - over 15 years of fos ardour didn't bring a slew of daw excellence to linux, it is still basic and mediocre, and ultimately for fos to see something actually decent, that requires a substantial amount of investment, in a field that has the prospect of making good profits. Shocker - turns out, it is all about money as well. But hey at least "free" has a nice ring to it.
    Last edited by ddriver; 14 August 2021, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

As an LMMS user I wonder, does Ardour have groove quantisation ?

Or are here any coders who can add this to LMMS ?

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          There doesn't seem to be much weight in the "free" as in "freedom" aspect of fos - over 15 years of fos ardour didn't bring a slew of daw excellence to linux, it is still basic and mediocre, and ultimately for fos to see something actually decent, that requires a substantial amount of investment, in a field that has the prospect of making good profits. Shocker - turns out, it is all about money as well. But hey at least "free" has a nice ring to it.
          Interesting how you bring up Blender and the financial support it gets. You don't sound like a person who contributed financially to make Ardour any less "mediocre". So I guess that makes you part of the problem.

Comment

funny number

Comment

fos
              Guy, it’s spelled FOSS, Free Open Source Software.

Comment

Ardour is the Qt of daws
                Except that it uses gtk. Bizzare troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Also it's still locked to GTK+2 without any chance to port to something never any time soon

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Interesting how you bring up Blender and the financial support it gets. You don't sound like a person who contributed financially to make Ardour any less "mediocre". So I guess that makes you part of the problem.
                    The point that was explicitly stated just for you to still somehow miss is, again, that "free" is just a naive label they put on yet another business model.

Yes, you evidently are. Because it doesn't need to use qt to be its contextual equivalent... doh...

Comment

Working...
                    X