Ardour 6.9 Digital Audio Workstation Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
    The point that was explicitly stated just for you to still somehow miss is, again, that "free" is just a naive label they put on yet another business model.
    Ardour is free-as-in-speech. Always has been, always will be. Subscription to get binaries didn't kick in until 2007, which is roughly 7 years into development. This is how they funded the development and it wasn't enough to sustain the development until Windows builds became available and officially supported. With source code still available under the terms of GPL.

All of us, the part of the community that wanted to see this project flourish, did our bit to support developers. So it's nice of you to deflect the attention from the point that you did nothing to contribute to make this project better, yet somehow you feel entitled to throw big words around.

If free-as-in-speech means nothing to you, why are you even here?

Comment

I've been supporting Ardour. I wish the interface was a bit better, I also wish that I could change audio interfaces a bit easier from within the application but I understand that most professional applications don't have people just swapping stuff.

They've done a great job at producing a free DAW.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

My kudos go to bitwig, ... I've been using daws since the first versions of cakewalk, went through samplitude, cubase, studio one and ableton, and after some 25 years I finally found something decent, and it even works on linux. Of course, it is not perfect, but it is the best we've got in a niche that actually has strong and long standing competition.
        Thanks for referring "bitwig", didn't know of its existence unit now.

BTW did you know or have been able to compare this DAW to Davinci Resolve (Blackmagic Design) which not only is a video editor/grading but comes with "Fairlight" audio editing and also has "free" version for linux? It also supports ALSA now since version 17.3 besides proprietary IO hardware.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...t=1950#p782848

Comment

Working...
        X