No announcement yet.

Wine 6.15 Released With More PE Conversion Work, More 32-bit To 64-bit Thunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 6.15 Released With More PE Conversion Work, More 32-bit To 64-bit Thunks

Phoronix: Wine 6.15 Released With More PE Conversion Work, More 32-bit To 64-bit Thunks

Wine 6.15 has been uncorked as the newest bi-weekly development release of this software that powers Steam Play and more for running Windows games/applications on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I wasn't in the the middle of transferring around 1.5 TB of Windows game data between drives. Finally replacing my Windows game drive that starting giving SMART errors.

So I almost screwed myself. I typed in my source/destination directories backwards in rsync. Luckily I got that wrong so I rsync'd /backup/dir/games into /mnt/games/games so I just filled up my drive with a copy of all my games instead of overwriting my current data with my backup data .

Comment

Can't wait until the day that one of these says "Creative Cloud now works through Wine."

Just spent a day trying to do image stacking in Gimp and figured out that it doesn't have that feature. In the end, I tried out several different programs and plugin that allowed me to do auto-image alignment via the terminal which made align copies of all the photos, then I imported those into Gimp before I was finally able to use the plugin to Median everything together. Photoshop and Illustrator are the last things that I need to keep a Windows install around for.

Comment

What software applications (not games) do you use Wine for?

Are you satisfied with Wine or do you think it works poorly?

What are you missing in Wine?

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
        Just spent a day trying to do image stacking in Gimp and figured out that it doesn't have that feature.
        You can donate to fund the development of GIMP.
        Donating money is important: it makes GIMP sustainable. Fund Core Team Developers Directly¶ We don’t raise funds to sponsor development as an organization yet and encourage contributor fundraisers: Patreon¶ Fund Øyvind Kolås1 GEGL development Fund ZeMarmot2 GIMP development Øyvind Kolås raises funds for his work on GEGL …

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          If I wasn't in the the middle of transferring around 1.5 TB of Windows game data between drives. Finally replacing my Windows game drive that starting giving SMART errors.

So I almost screwed myself. I typed in my source/destination directories backwards in rsync. Luckily I got that wrong so I rsync'd /backup/dir/games into /mnt/games/games so I just filled up my drive with a copy of all my games instead of overwriting my current data with my backup data .
          Even if you got it wrong, so long as your save data wasn't lumped in with all that (where modern games don't tend to store save data in the game folder), you could always re-download them. And sure, I know your ISP is slow but not like you have to re-download everything anyway. My 1TB games drive has been getting a bit full lately and I've just been moving old games I don't play often off that drive to a removable HDD. As long as I plug in the drive and mount it before Steam starts, the games show up in my library. Most of these games I haven't played in years and don't really benefit from SSD performance, so there's not much loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
            Can't wait until the day that one of these says "Creative Cloud now works through Wine."

Just spent a day trying to do image stacking in Gimp and figured out that it doesn't have that feature. In the end, I tried out several different programs and plugin that allowed me to do auto-image alignment via the terminal which made align copies of all the photos, then I imported those into Gimp before I was finally able to use the plugin to Median everything together. Photoshop and Illustrator are the last things that I need to keep a Windows install around for.
            Did you try DDG? This is what I found with a quick search. Also, the G'MIC plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Even if you got it wrong, so long as your save data wasn't lumped in with all that (where modern games don't tend to store save data in the game folder), you could always re-download them. And sure, I know your ISP is slow but not like you have to re-download everything anyway. My 1TB games drive has been getting a bit full lately and I've just been moving old games I don't play often off that drive to a removable HDD. As long as I plug in the drive and mount it before Steam starts, the games show up in my library. Most of these games I haven't played in years and don't really benefit from SSD performance, so there's not much loss.
              Luckily I put it all one folder deep instead of the top level directory. Just had to delete that and start over.

1TB? Shit. I'm upgrading my 2TB to 4TB using my other 4TB mirror as a temp location (I almost filled it up). Giving Paragon's NTFS driver a workout today.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I mostly use it as a way to test out retro stuff that was originally on old CD-Rs or even floppies before getting copied to DVD+R and so on so I can decide whether to boot up my Win98SE retro-PC and do the Linux PC→Thumbdrive→WinXP PC with USB→Airgapped Retro LAN→Win98SE PC without USB dance to take screenshots. (I really need to get around to setting up a replacement for the Soekris+m0n0wall router I used to have, which allowed only outbound SSH and NTP to my Linux PC from the retro-LAN and nothing inbound.)

However, I also use it for Project64 (since Mupen64Plus doesn't like some of the games that tried harder to not work under emulation, like Donkey Kong 64), the downloader for my Yamaha keyboard's ability to store MIDIs internally (too busy to reverse-engineer the SysEx messages it uses), the prep tool for my GBA flash cart (again, too busy to figure out what it's doing), Exact Audio Copy (too busy to add support for skipping Track 1 on Data+Audio CDs to whipper and I do sometimes receive CDs that whipper gives up on but EAC gets a good-sounding rip out of), and the occasional game resource ripper that has no Linux version or alternative which I use to format-shift the soundtrack I already paid for rather than buying another.

I find Wine generally works well but it can be hit-or-miss with older stuff. My favourite Tetris game (BrickLayer, the Win3.1 port of Tetris Maxx) is set to use a pinned copy of Wine 1.2 in PlayOnLinux because, last time I tried with the system Wine version (around 1.7, I think), it died. (Apparently 1.2 has some kind of hack they ripped out and started to rewrite properly.)

Comment

Mainly just games and emulators. I'd love it if I could get RPG Maker XP working through Wine, too, but that's not really a priority.

Almost everything else is Linux native. I use Davinci Resolve for compositing, color grading, and editing. Blender for modeling, OBS for capture, etc. All are Linux native.

Photoshop, Illustrator

It works fairly well when it works but I try not to rely on it for things.

Not sure. Whatever prevents Creative Cloud from working. In the past I've been able to get Photoshop and Illustrators to get to their sign-in screens with the entire UI showing behind it, but the sign-in process itself didn't work because I think it wasn't show the captcha. Then either the next update of Photoshop or Wine wouldn't even get that far.

You can donate to fund the development of GIMP.
                  https://www.gimp.org/donating/
                  I absolutely would if I had any confidence in the project. Lacking certain features is one thing but there's just so many usability issues with it. For example, right-clicking doesn't provide you with contextual commands for a selection, it provides a dropdown version of the menu bar. I also can't nudge or delete the contents of a selection with the arrow keys and delete respectively. There's also the whole layer bounds thing which doesn't make sense to me at all and prefer it was optional. It also can't seem to open DNGs. It tries opening them through Darkpixel but that couldn't open the DNGs from my camera either.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Luckily I put it all one folder deep instead of the top level directory. Just had to delete that and start over.

1TB? Shit. I'm upgrading my 2TB to 4TB using my other 4TB mirror as a temp location (I almost filled it up). Giving Paragon's NTFS driver a workout today.
                    I just upgraded from 500GB+500GB+1.5TB+2TB+6TB to 1TB (SSD) + 2TB + 6TB + 10TBx2 about a year ago (with some nightly cronjobs to ensure that stuff on the SSD has three backup copies (The 2TB external is an rdiff-backup replica of the 1TB SSD holding my OS and homedir), stuff on the 6TB drive has two backup copies, and the remaining ~2TB of stuff where the authoritative copy is kept on a 10TB drive is for stuff like installed GOG games or things already backed up to DVD+R so nothing has less than three copies available. The two 10TB drives are a WD Red and a Seagate Ironwolf and the 2TB drive is a USB3 external I can yank the cords on in case of fire.)

Yeah, it's still a mess, but, at the time, I couldn't even afford to hit the best per-gigabyte price point by buying two 12TB drives instead of two 10TB drives, let alone spending more on a unified solution for the third copies of the files.

The important thing is, I have far too many terabytes of stuff.
                    Last edited by ssokolow; 13 August 2021, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X