No announcement yet.

Thunderbird 91 Released With Big Improvements For This Open-Source Mail Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed it to have a look and to my surprise it easily configured not only Outlook and Gmail but also Google Calendars Sync and Google Contacts Sync (as long as one remembers to click the little hidden "connect" buttons for calendar/contacts in the setup wizard).

This is the first time I got Google Contacts+Calendar synced without fiddling for days with multiple more or less defunct plugins that only support specific Thunderbird versions, so I see it as a huge progress.

Comment

Add support for non-ASCII characters in recipient addresses
      uhh, why? domains are not allowed to use non-latin characters, hence xn-- IDNs... so why should we allow it for usernames?

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
        Alternative phrasing: "TB doesn't open up a massive attack channel that enables zero-click auto-pwnage" for those that only use email for plain text.
        Which is one of the best things about it.
        that is the opposite of what i was saying... TB has a similar attack channel since it supports html+images(+more?) hence the bloat, i was suggesting a modular method of being able to load browser components would be a way to reduce the duplicated bloat

regardless, TB has the option of not loading html, not loading images

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
        Hmmm.... no preview line in message list means a message is truly NOT loaded before user click on it, so in security sense it is harder for viral mail to exploit the mail client.
        is that a real threat? the message in its text form is loaded the same way as the title or sender is loaded... a preview doesnt parse images or styles, it simply removes all <tags>

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
        uhh, why? domains are not allowed to use non-latin characters, hence xn-- IDNs... so why should we allow it for usernames?
        usernames are not domains https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6532/

speaking of, FF defaulted to hiding those xn-- characters a few versions ago to make non-latin domains look normal, but that sounds like the chance of phishing would increase since there are non-ascii characters that look the same

Comment

Updated and cross compiling ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmmFghL-7FE

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
            This whole Firefox/Thunderbird thing has became uncontrollably bloated.
            It takes considerable resources for simple functionality, and yet it readily fails at thing as simple as profile migration, import/export, data rescue etc.
            Why do I need all that bloat just to receive a friggin email ?

I switched to claws for mail.
            Thunderbird can do both text and html, so when your bank sends you that loaded down html email with important font actually embedded in a graphic, you can still read it. (would be cool to have an option in the "more menu" if you are in text only mode)

Originally posted by Termy View Post
            Still no Tray-Functionality as far as i can see? I really don't understand how something so essential can be missing for so long. And the crude addon only works party and has a really ugly non-svg icon...
            Really? A tray icon? for what? Windows 95 users? I don't think any modern email has a tray icon.. thing of the past. Icon and number of unread messages show up in MacOS on the dock icon just fine (I imagine they work on windows as well). I think that is preferred way to notify a user as opposed to a tray icon. Yuck.

Oh also unlike Outlook it uses native MacOS notifications. You wouldn't believe how Microsoft seems violently opposed to notifying a user the same way every other thing on the OS does.. but they do.
            Last edited by k1e0x; 13 August 2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Was really exited for this new release. First thing I noticed, I cannot write emails anymore without any error message. Darn.

Turns out that no spell checking language was installed then I upgraded. Even with spell checking disabled, sending emails is then impossible. After I added one, everything started to work again. Not the best start, Thunderbird 91.

Comment

Still no Tray-Functionality as far as i can see? I really don't understand how something so essential can be missing for so long. And the crude addon only works party and has a really ugly non-svg icon...
                Tray icon works in Windows, I don't know how long it will take for them to implement in other OSes:
                New in Thunderbird 78.0 | Thunderbird Help (mozilla.org)

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                  Thunderbird can do both text and html, so when your bank sends you that loaded down html email with important font actually embedded in a graphic, you can still read it. (would be cool to have an option in the "more menu" if you are in text only mode)
                  1. My bank could have used standard font, do their banking business properly and not rely on email for anything especially confident. If it has to, it could have send me an encripts email with embedded pdf. Instead, they needed a couple of billion EUR infusion to cover their failed projects. But we have been rewarded for that with "fancy emails".
                  What would we do without e-mails with embedded fonts ?

2. My bank and accounts is becoming irrelevant artifact of the history. Crypto is coming. Globalists are desperately trying to force their CryptoShekel and Digital Dollar in every home. They are about control of EVERY transaction, no one will care about embedded fonts.
                  But even if they were to succeed, "emails from bank" are soon to become thing of the past.

Comment

No tray functionality is literally the only reason I don't use it. My email situation is 100x more complicated because this doesn't exist :/

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Really? A tray icon? for what? Windows 95 users? I don't think any modern email has a tray icon.. thing of the past. Icon and number of unread messages show up in MacOS on the dock icon just fine (I imagine they work on windows as well). I think that is preferred way to notify a user as opposed to a tray icon. Yuck.
                      It's only a "thing of the past" if you adhere to the style-over-substance approach MacOS, Gnome and so on adhere to. Why would i want to have the email client window open all of the time?!

Comment

Working...
                      X