Thunderbird 91 Released With Big Improvements For This Open-Source Mail Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    So don't do it. Use what you need. I don't expect blowjob when I go for groceries etc. E-mail is meant for message passing, not friggin multimedia experience.
    It's in its name: e-mail. Electronic form of physical letters, packages etc.
    COMPUTING DEVICES are meant for a multimedia experience, these devices also have a lot more ram & storage space for certain types of bloat to not matter during usage

email does not mean plain text, the fact that attachments exist means it's no longer plain text

rich email newsletters full of graphics is the same as a full color magazine you get in the mail

light web browsers also exist, at a low level the web is still a few headers & some html code that can a lot of the time be parsed, otherwise browsing with JS disabled or using a terminal based web browser wouldnt be possible

looks like you have zero interest in completely fair explanations or other users' choice (not to mention the content organizations want to send, or the development effort to split TB away from FF when TB never claimed to be minimalist), you just want to go on a crazy rant attack over nothing while you have multiple alternatives, you even switched to one yet it's still a pointless toxic waste dump

also it still sends & receives email, profile migration or import/export has nothing to do with email

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
      This whole post is terrible. You don't choose what others send to you. If you get an email and your client lacks the support for the code within the email then the email shows up in a broken way.
      But you can choose what you receive. Your MTA discards mass of "nigerian prince" scam attempts and with a good reason. If it's not braindead, it should discard an "e-mail" that is an actual "naked" executable, for example. Or random noise.

Packages can be literally anything. TV, computer, sex doll, exercise equipment, seeds, fleshlight, sex doll, sewing machine, fabric, books, movies, sex doll, posters, lamps, pillows, EVEN SEX DOLLS!!
      Not true. Packages can't be explosives, bombs, poisons, bioagents, live animals etc etc.
      And even in allowed boundaries no one can demand that exactly the recipient that got them has to consume them as they are in order to understand the deeper message.
      Imagine getting a classic mail equivalent of enriched HTML+JS "mail" - you get the message with an "instructions" that you have to strip yourself naked, take a showel, walk in the middle of nearest public park, make a hole in the ground, take a dump in it and wait for a cop with the rest of the message.

"Color ink is fine though. That can be considered mail."
      OTOH, "interactive" mails that end up with police chase can liven up one's day.
      Last edited by Brane215; 12 August 2021, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post
        COMPUTING DEVICES are meant for a multimedia experience, these devices also have a lot more ram & storage space for certain types of bloat to not matter during usage
        On appropriate applications. I don't need a quarantine and friggin SWAT unit for every mail.
        There are multimedia applications for multimedia content. I don't intend to expose innards of my machine to every letter.

email does not mean plain text, the fact that attachments exist means it's no longer plain text
        Sure. And those are properly packaged - encapsulated. And they don't need to be opened by the very application that received the mail.
        Even there, mail virus scanners exist for a very good reasons. And they are far from perfect.
        Last edited by Brane215; 12 August 2021, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Still looks as ugly as it originally was 10 years ago

Even Microsoft's Outlook.com web client looks so much better and more modern than the 'straight-out-of-the-nineties' GUI Thunderbird has.

Thanks but no thanks.
          It looks very decent with an icon set from this century (unlike in the screenshot above...).

I also took the time a while ago to tweak icons colors myself with Inkscape since they're SVGs. Hence, mine is quite consistent.
          It even looks pretty nice with some further CSS tweaking actually.

It's a bit high on resources though, I agree with the comment pointing it out. It's been open on my machine for 24 days (current uptime) and consumes 700Mb of RAM (out of 32Gb, so no bother for me), might be less for those with 8 or 16 Gb.

I'm very impatient to get it through Manjaro or AUR repos. I just hope it won't break my CSS, as it's time consuming to adapt these customizations.
          Last edited by Mez'; 12 August 2021, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            It looks very decent with an icon set from this century (unlike in the screenshot above...).

I also took the time a while ago to tweak icons colors myself with Inkscape since they're SVGs. Hence, mine is quite consistent.
            It even looks pretty nice with some further CSS tweaking actually.

It's a bit high on resources though, I agree with the comment pointing it out. It's been open on my machine for 24 days (current uptime) and consumes 700Mb of RAM (out of 32Gb, so no bother for me), might be less for those with 8 or 16 Gb.

I'm very impatient to get it through Manjaro or AUR repos. I just hope it won't break my CSS, as it's time consuming to adapt these customizations.
            pics of (mainly the css) customizations?

consuming 700mb ram on a 32gb system doesnt necessarily mean it will consume 700mb on a 2gb system, then there's the issue of how many emails or inboxes you have, how many were opened & closed, their content, if you use addons, etc

Comment

So many grumpy people for actually a very good news, a few years ago Thunderbird development was almost dead and now we have nice releases. Think what you want, my personal opinion is we don't have a better open source e-mail client to handle thousands of emails in 8 different accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post
                TB doesnt optionally spawn FF processes for those that only use email for plain text
                Alternative phrasing: "TB doesn't open up a massive attack channel that enables zero-click auto-pwnage" for those that only use email for plain text.
                Which is one of the best things about it.

As Flaburgan says, we should all be happy that TB has at least one developer now.

OTOH, we should also all be very scared that the loudest noise coming from TB right now is "UI 'improvements'". Because I've seen Proton, and now that the UX monkeys are done sabotaging the Firefox UI they'll be bored and looking for something new to fling poop at.

Comment

Still no Tray-Functionality as far as i can see? I really don't understand how something so essential can be missing for so long. And the crude addon only works party and has a really ugly non-svg icon...

Comment

I would like to see some kind of integration with Libreoffice, just like outlook in office pack, that would be a major thing for me. Also the calendar would need a few touches.

Comment

I like Thunderbird

It manages my six-digits number of mails in over fourty accounts and doesn't break a sweat when I jump around them, have full access to everything, can search and make good, compact and offline backups of my data to tar.
                      Last edited by reba; 12 August 2021, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X