Firefox 91 Released As New ESR Base, HTTPS First Policy For Private Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lolllllll
    Last edited by Hash; 10 August 2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Oh great, your suggestion completely broke my browser and now nothing works. Clicking pretty much any button results in instant crash.

Is there a config file somewhere where I can reset this setting? I can't access about:config from within the browser due to it being completely broken.

Writing this post from the awesome GNOME Web by the way. I love Firefox though so I would really like it back thank you very much.
      I maybe should have added that you should only try this on recent versions of Gnome/Kwin/Sway...sorry!

P.S.: which exact combination of compositor / FF version did you try?
      Last edited by treba; 10 August 2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Firefox 90 was a nice little release that finally introduced support for private class variables which is nice because it helps with the information hiding part of object-oriented programming and allows to do things such as creating classes to represent your own strongly-typed data types.

It's good that Firefox 91 now does https-by-default in private mode, but still Firefox will load images from http even if the site is served on https but refers to resources such as images over http, so then it is still possible to spy on what you do, also the HTTP request includes the "Host" header which includes information about which site you browsed to. So visiting https sites does not keep you safe from spying if it references resources over plain http.

The company I work at had to migrate from Firefox to Edge because of the poor handling of input type="date" in Firefox. Our employees work a lot with your intranet web application and do repetive taks such as entering dates, so it needs to be quck and effective. The Firefox date picker is rather poor, we use the max attribute, to to set it max="9999-12-31" in order to limit the year to 4 digits instead of 5 digits which is the default, so that users can type "2021-01-01" without it becoming "20210-10-1". Chromium-based browsers handle this well, but Firefox handles it poorly.

I personally like Firefox but as a web developer it is frustrating with the lack of support for modern web standards such as input type="datetime-local" and the dialog element.

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
        I wish they would fix WebAuthn on Android again. It indicates to sites that it exists but nothing happens when you try to use it.
        I wish they would add pull-to-refresh to Firefox on Android.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

I maybe should have added that you should only try this on recent versions of Gnome/Kwin/Sway...sorry!

P.S.: which exact combination of compositor / FF version did you try?
          GNOME 40.2 and FF90. Maybe I'll try again when FF91 trickles down into my distribution.

Also, I don't blame you so don't worry about it. This is clearly "try at your own risk" territory

Comment

GNOME 40.2 and FF90. Maybe I'll try again when FF91 trickles down into my distribution.

Also, I don't blame you so don't worry about it. This is clearly "try at your own risk" territory
            Gnome should be fine then but I said "Users running beta (92)"
            On 91 the feature should also better be avoided.

Comment

Oh great, your suggestion completely broke my browser and now nothing works. Clicking pretty much any button results in instant crash.

Is there a config file somewhere where I can reset this setting? I can't access about:config from within the browser due to it being completely broken.

Writing this post from the awesome GNOME Web by the way. I love Firefox though so I would really like it back thank you very much.
              Go to ~/.mozilla/firefox/???.default (??? is a random name that the browser creates)
              Then edit prefs.js and disable the respective settings by hand (you may also have to edit prefs-1.js, prefs-2.js, prefs-3.js and so on as well).

Don't make a mistake, or your settings may be reset.

Comment

Users running beta (92) on the Wayland backend (`MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1`, unfortunately still not on by default) may want to try out the compositor backend (`gfx.webrender.compositor.force-enabled` in `about:config`). It aims to bring the Wayland backend on par with the CoreAnimation and DirectComposition backends on MacOS/Win respectively concerning energy efficiency. It does so by offloading compositing work to the Wayland compositor by using subsurfaces and other advanced Wayland features. That allows to e.g. paint page content only once and, when scrolling, just instructing the Wayland compositor to move that content around, reducing GPU work.

Edit: only try this if you run a recent (dot)release of Gnome/Kwin/Sway - older versions have serious bugs, many of them found while developing this feature.

See also https://mozillagfx.wordpress.com/201...ore-animation/
                Whoa, nice! Firefox feels super responsive now.

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post
                  Whoa, nice! Firefox feels super responsive now.
                  For the record, there are generally two areas where it should help:
                  1. if your setup is GPU bound e.g. 4k screens on slow integrated cards
                  2. on old devices that fall back to software rendering (Software Webrender)

Generally the new backend trades less GPU usage against higher CPU usage in the Wayland compositor. In the case of software rendering it seems to overall perform better because software drawing is so much more expensive than the additional overhead.
                  On systems that are already powerful enough to keep up, the only difference should be lower energy consumption.

Comment

For the record, there are generally two areas where it should help:
                    1. if your setup is GPU bound e.g. 4k screens on slow integrated cards
                    2. on old devices that fall back to software rendering (Software Webrender)

Generally the new backend trades less GPU usage against higher CPU usage in the Wayland compositor. In the case of software rendering it seems to overall perform better because software drawing is so much more expensive than the additional overhead.
                    On systems that are already powerful enough to keep up, the only difference should be lower energy consumption.
                    Intel Haswell 4800mq running on the iGPU (HD4600). I didn't really do a before and after, but with resizing there is nearly no lag anymore, everything just reflows nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I wish they would add pull-to-refresh to Firefox on Android.
                      Its in Nightly which is on version 92 currently, not sure if it was added in 91 or 92 though.

Comment

Working...
                      X