Thunderbird 91 Is Flying Soon As First Major Mail Client Update In A Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Except that's not what he said. He asked how does it make sense, you explained their reasoning behind it. Maybe work on your reading comprehension.
    The reason is the reason and you can either make sense of it or you can't. "Making sense" is an abstract concept and varies based on a person's intelligence, experience, exposure, etc.

Thunderbird mirrors the version number of the Firefox release it's based on.
    Either a person "gets that", "makes sense of it", or they don't. That reason makes sense to me. I think it's a fucking stupid reason, but it makes sense nonetheless.

It's no different than any other knowledge. You're exposed to enough concepts and examples and you're either smart enough to figure it out to some extent or you're not. "Some extent" is anything from being able to comprehend an apple is red or green to being a scientist that can explain why an apple is red or green. Every person has a different invisible line in regards to "making sense" of something which is what makes "sense" so abstract and how and why two people can see the same information and "make sense" of it in very different ways. Rhetorical example question: Where do you stand in regards to wearing masks? Exactly. Same information, different ways of "making sense".

To reiterate, "making sense" is abstract so you give your reason (truthiness) or the reason (factual knowledge) and from there the other person brain either "gets it" and they cross that invisible line from "the fuck?" to "makes sense" or they don't. You teach or explain and either a person "gets it" or they don't.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 08 August 2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Thunderbird mirrors the version number of the Firefox release it's based on. That's not really that hard to understand.
      Pretty much what perpetuallyhigh said. As a long time FF user I'm well aware of what the version numbers refer to, but it's a stupid choice of versioning as Thunderbird is a separate project despite their common reliance on gecko and other mozilla libraries.

Mozilla software is not a desktop environment suite and Thunderbird isn't even thematically consistent with Firefox (hell, it's almost always outdated in every single aspect I can think of), therefore I don't see why this versioning makes any sense to anyone, let alone confused end users.

Comment

skeevy420 , makes sense to who? Me? you? My mom? The Firefox/Thunderbird team? Phoronix forums?

It should only have to make sense for one group: the end-users. That's it, no one else.

If it's an internal tool, people can use whatever versioning scheme they want.

But if you want a strong customer base with loyalty, they like things that make sense to them and they're fickle, they'll leave if they don't like something. And I think kon14 brought up an excellent case when you're stuck in a bind on deciding wtf version to use.

edit: Let's talk about the real reason they did this. Because Google and Chrome set a shitty standard with their versioning scheme, and because most of the public uses Chrome, they see the big flashy number, and see the little puny Firefox version, and they say well Chrome must be better. Yeah, pretty stupid I know. But that's partly why they did it. I hope once Firefox captures more market share, they go back to something that makes sense.
        Last edited by perpetually high; 08 August 2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          skeevy420 , makes sense to who? Me? you? My mom? The Firefox/Thunderbird team? Phoronix forums?

It should only have to make sense for one group: the end-users. That's it, no one else.

If it's an internal tool, people can use whatever versioning scheme they want.

But if you want a strong customer base with loyalty, they like things that make sense to them and they're fickle, they'll leave if they don't like something. And I think kon14 brought up an excellent case when you're stuck in a bind on deciding wtf version to use.
          Anyone. Doesn't really matter who.

You asked why it jumps from version A to B and the reason why was given. Either that makes sense to you or anyone or it doesn't. End of that discussion.

The issue of it being a good way to version something or not is an entirely different matter than the issue of being able to make sense of why it is versioned the way it is.

Merit of versioning methods isn't the same as grasping the concept of a specific versioning method. You need to make sense of that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Anyone. Doesn't really matter who.

You asked why it jumps from version A to B and the reason why was given. Either that makes sense to you or anyone or it doesn't. End of that discussion.

The issue of it being a good way to version something or not is an entirely different matter than the issue of being able to make sense of why it is versioned the way it is.

Merit of versioning methods isn't the same as grasping the concept of a specific versioning method. You need to make sense of that.
            No, not anyone. I explained why anyone is not applicable here. It's only Firefox/Thunderbird end-users. I think you're really overcomplicating this and overthinking it.

It's also not sustainable. We jumped from 78 to 91? So what's gonna happen in a few years, what version we gonna be at? 285? 420? 1400?

You don't see an issue here? It doesn't scale. Semantic versionining on the other hand, you could go from 1.0 to 8.0 in 80 years time. Yeah, contrived example, but it's true.

When they come up with versioning schemes, they put thought into it. Not like the bogus versioning scheme Google and Chrome invented and FIrefox imitated. Please don't respond anymore with your original argument. I'm not interested.

Comment

Thunderbird needs a UI revamp as soon as possible. It feels terribly cluttered and like they just threw everything on it with no thought.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Thunderbird needs a UI revamp as soon as possible. It feels terribly cluttered and like they just threw everything on it with no thought.
                I had the same exact feeling. It's all just one monolithic blob of elements right after each other. It's not to say I couldn't figure it out, or that it was impossible, but it definitely wasn't intuitive.

It's exactly what you said: no thought. So to me, this seems like developers and not an actual UI team. And if it was UI, well I hope we figure out a new UI that makes sense and doesn't compromise anything. It's possible.

Comment

You know, when you have nothing better to do than arguing with strangers on a Sunday afternoon, about the version number of a e-mail client, there is something wrong.

Carp diem my friends, carp diem.

Comment

so there is no android port as of now..

bit surprised with openpgp part, i think they are moving similar to k9, which imo is worst case (personal opinion). i dont mind compatability or difficulty for sending encrypted emails only...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                      You know, when you have nothing better to do than arguing with strangers on a Sunday afternoon, about the version number of a e-mail client, there is something wrong.

Carp diem my friends, carp diem.
                      Touché as they say I'm not here to add to this discussion, as I was already aware of the reasoning for why they do it the way they do, whether I like it our not. That said, I am going to get a little opinionated before I ask my actual technical question on Thunderbird. Not going to be watching the NFL this fall as well, because I have more fulfilling things to do than contribute to a money machine that in the end feels more like something that sells identity in an of itself (shallow identity at that), in addition constantly breaks for commercials that are selling additional identity and crap I do not need. It's all so exhausting to be honest. My Sundays are free for me, eff them as far as I am concerned.

Now onto my question

*** An actual serious technical question below ****

Why doesn't Thunderbird when composing (Write) email allow the font size to be chosen by points/pixels, instead of incremental sizes (tiny, small. medium, large, extra large, huge)? I have notice I have to adjust the size pretty big when composing, and when I get a response is even way larger. It is kind of a nuisance I feel like. Somebody correct me here if I am missing something, but been a complaint of mine for a while.
                      Last edited by ehansin; 08 August 2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X