GNOME's New Human Interface Guidelines Now Official

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Indeed, gnome-settings-daemon depends on NetworkManager. I guess you are doing Linux from scratch or something because otherwise your distribution package manager should have pulled in NetworkManager when installing GNOME.
    I might have it installed but am not using it since I only need a subset of the features. This system is a pretty standard desktop workstation PC, connected via 2,5 Gbps wired link to a router (WAN is 1 Gbps optical fibre). Before systemd I was just using dhcpc or dhclient. Now I've switched to systemd-networkd.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

That’s right, systemd-networkd is mostly a server/embedded thing as it diesn’t deal with dynamic network configuration.
      I'd argue that the network settings screen could still print whatever networkctl or 'ip link' is showing.

Comment

There was new Coke and there is Classic Coke.

There was Gnome 2 and there is Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          all your usecases are done from browser, so you don't need to switch between apps at all.
          They can be done in a browser. If one doesn't know any better, sure. I for sure prefer dedicated clients that do their job well and fast.
          Anyhow: why said browser shouldn't have multiple windows, too, resulting in the same problem, remains yours to explain.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          but switching between apps in gnome requires one click and zero key presses
          How that? I come to two clicks at best.
          Last edited by Neuro-Chef; 07 August 2021, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
            that's like 100% incorrect because GNOME has overview and gestures which make it very easy to use the computer with one hand if you so desire.
            So there's a button for overview, fine. This still means 100% more clicks per switch compared to a taskbar with window list.

EDIT: A quick https://www.ecosia.org/search?q=gnome+mouse+gestures
            gave me not more than https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Gestures
            So, what mouse gestures may that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
              Haven't you discovered the top left "hot corner" yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post

so this is not for normal humans like 98% that live on the earth ?
                New Humans are Babies. With all the whining going on in this thread GNOME is clearly software for babies.

GNOME
                Software for Babies.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                  Haven't you discovered the top left "hot corner" yet?
                  No. But that might explain some rare unwanted behaviour that confused me. I guess it's also very easy to miss in a VM.
                  But that whole switiching windows topic was just a basic example, there's more like having a classic task tray, permanently visible launchers that don't waste a lot of space with huge icons, an application menu where applications are sorted by category in case you forget their names.. and just no desire and time to fiddle around with extensions and tweaks to make a DE usable until the next update destroys some of it, even if it's possible.
                  At least KDE maintains their trillions of options that give a lot of choice (although I think said options are the reason it's so buggy). But for me, Cinnamon ist almost perfect in usual distributions default configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
                    Tesler's law " If you simplify too much, you will transfer some complexity to the users" https://growth.design/psychology/
                    Same logic can apply for exposing too much unnecessary complexity which overwhelmed users.

I think gnome should do two designs one for desktop/laptop other for tablet/mobile they cant combine two.
                    Already existing named responsive interface from which GNOME is heading to that direction with the contribution from Librem team behind their Pinephone.

Nuclear power plant do need complex interface as well desktop user need advance options and customization as KDE XFCE others provide
                    That scenario is all about applications nothing to do with desktop environment nor the GNOME user interface guidelines.
                    Last edited by finalzone; 08 August 2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I for sure prefer dedicated clients that do their job well and fast.
                      gnome has to cater for average user, not just for you
                      Anyhow: why said browser shouldn't have multiple windows, too, resulting in the same problem, remains yours to explain.
                      all browsers support tabs
                      move mouse cursor to hot corner without click(it shows overview on move without clicks), then click on app

Comment

Working...
                      X