Firefox 92 To Try Again With AVIF Image Support By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    As far as I understand Google is keen to push WEBP 2 instead of AVIF while VVC in HEIC is a much better option.
    Google doesn't even support WebP in half its products. The entire G-Suite line of products does not support WebP (Docs, Slides, Sheets, Etc..). Last I checked was in June, but I'd be surprised if things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      As far as I understand Google is keen to push WEBP 2 instead of AVIF while VVC in HEIC is a much better option.
      VVC in HEIF would go nowhere just as HEVC in HEIF is going nowhere. It's not a better option when no one will support it just as is the case with HEVC in HEIF.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        That's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Firefox is a web browser. Chrome is a keylogger and ad-slinger, and a nation state surveillance tool. Totally different goals and purposes for those two projects.
        Get back to me when Mozilla Corp wants to build a good browser instead of crappy browser that they're hell bent on destroying and driving away every last user at every turn.

Comment

That's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Firefox is a web browser. Chrome is a keylogger and ad-slinger, and a nation state surveillance tool. Totally different goals and purposes for those two projects.
          Uh huh, and the guy who's pleasing the girl you want is “just a meathead”. ;+ )

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
            I'm waiting for JPEG XL myself.
            I'd be interested to see hat JXL-style lossless transcoding of JPEG to AVIF would look like, I think it should technically be possible (?).

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
              I highly respect what the people behind it have down and the effort they put in. But it's not supported om Mac so it's basically useless on the web. How many times has Apple gotten in the way of us being able to have nice things?
              In my case, exactly zero times. I have no time nor use for Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I'd be interested to see what JXL-style lossless transcoding of JPEG to AVIF would look like, I think it should technically be possible (?).
                I doubt it. The lossless JPEG transcoding doesn't magically convert it into a VarDCT JPEG-XL image. It is a separate, special mode for backwards compatibility.

Comment

That's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Firefox is a web browser.
                  so is chromium, which supports avif. firefox is too busy hyping rust

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    rav1e is literally the worst encoder right now in both speed and quality
                    you aren't supposed measure it, "written in rust" dwarfs everything else in importance

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post

I doubt it. The lossless JPEG transcoding doesn't magically convert it into a VarDCT JPEG-XL image. It is a separate, special mode for backwards compatibility.
                      I mean, it's a special mode for the transcoder, sure, but surely the same principle (choose the equivalent block size, and then code the residuals) applies?

Comment

Working...
                      X