Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.2 RC2 Up For Testing With Its Initial GTK4 Work, Command Pop-Up / HUD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's only RC but I am still thinking what kind of phoronix benchmark there could be.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      https://libreofficemaster.blogspot.c...ui-mockup.html There is look into a UI redo on libreoffice for version 8.0
      Tabs on top of tabs and still needing a hamburger menu. Rounded buttons inside rounded corners. That weird Microsoft pattern of a few small icons defined by whatever their telemetry told them are the most used features. Just kill me already I'm getting too old for UIs.

Comment

https://libreofficemaster.blogspot.c...ui-mockup.html There is look into a UI redo on libreoffice for version 8.0
        Excuse me, but it's a horrible pastiche. I really hope it doesn't succeed, for the sanity of many of us. And need to click on a "shirt" icon to change to a somewhat sane GUI, ffs. Tabs? What was he smoking?

I hate the GUI of Microsoft Office since a few years ago, it tries to hide everything and put millions of icons everywhere. I also hate the typical obsession of Office suites with menu bars and need to spend a few hours to put those bars visible in a semi-decent way.

It seems they got infected by the same disease, even more dangerous than CoVid-19. Is it because they are loving GNOME and GTK? Is it because too much compatibility is making LibreOffice a Microsoft Office clone without personality at all?

I thank them for all their efforts, but they could do it a lot better. Calc, Draw, Base and Math needs be greatly improved to not just be "extra" companion apps to Write.

I can't even stand Microsoft Office since the ribbon disease too...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Just like Microsoft office, putting more "modern" lipstick on the pig makes certain people so happy

But I suppose as a "modern" guy you are using the web based service these days right? Distributed desktop versions are so old fashioned after all.
          Out of interest, which of the alternatives out there is not a "pig" according to you?

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post
            Tabs on top of tabs and still needing a hamburger menu. Rounded buttons inside rounded corners. That weird Microsoft pattern of a few small icons defined by whatever their telemetry told them are the most used features. Just kill me already I'm getting too old for UIs.
            Designers use rounded corners so much today that they're more of an industry standard than a design trend. Not only are they found on software user interfaces, but hardware product designs as well. So what is it about rounded corners that make them so popular? Indeed they look appealing, but there's more to it than […]

AHOY the rounded buttons bit there is so much research on that its not funny. The first research on it goes back before windows 1.0 and the results have not changed. Rounded corners triggers human to read in middle. Pointer corners appears brighter and causes more eye strain and slower reading. The drop shadows in windows 3.11 was attempt to reduce the adverse effects pointer corners. So when you can do rounded corners by the research basically should. Yes the first research on this goes back to road signs before we had computers.

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Excuse me, but it's a horrible pastiche. I really hope it doesn't succeed, for the sanity of many of us. And need to click on a "shirt" icon to change to a somewhat sane GUI, ffs. Tabs? What was he smoking?

I hate the GUI of Microsoft Office since a few years ago, it tries to hide everything and put millions of icons everywhere. I also hate the typical obsession of Office suites with menu bars and need to spend a few hours to put those bars visible in a semi-decent way.

It seems they got infected by the same disease, even more dangerous than CoVid-19. Is it because they are loving GNOME and GTK? Is it because too much compatibility is making LibreOffice a Microsoft Office clone without personality at all?

I thank them for all their efforts, but they could do it a lot better. Calc, Draw, Base and Math needs be greatly improved to not just be "extra" companion apps to Write.

I can't even stand Microsoft Office since the ribbon disease too...
            Some what is there I don't hate. The shirt ICON I really do class as a good idea. You just make the mistake of activating one of libreoffice alternative interfaces in current version and have to find you way back. Libreoffice in fact having more than 1 interface does mean there need to icon for interface that no matter the interface loaded stays loaded.

Its improvement over the libreoffice tabbed interface.

Please do look a bit closer there is still LibreOffice personality in that interface. Just because something is MS Ribbon like does not mean no individual personality.

There is the issue that you have items like redoffice making forks of Libreoffice to look more like MS Office to reduce the training curve.

Comment

What is exactly "initial GTK4 support"? I thought that an application could either ported to GTK4 entirely or not. Is it going to use both GTK3 and GTK4 widgets at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post
                What is exactly "initial GTK4 support"? I thought that an application could either ported to GTK4 entirely or not. Is it going to use both GTK3 and GTK4 widgets at the same time?
                LibreOffice uses a own toolkit that uses other toolkits to actually draw widgets, create surfaces and so on. This is just about adding GTK4 support to that beside the already existing GTK3, Qt and so on support.

Comment

Designers use rounded corners so much today that they're more of an industry standard than a design trend. Not only are they found on software user interfaces, but hardware product designs as well. So what is it about rounded corners that make them so popular? Indeed they look appealing, but there's more to it than […]

AHOY the rounded buttons bit there is so much research on that its not funny. The first research on it goes back before windows 1.0 and the results have not changed. Rounded corners triggers human to read in middle. Pointer corners appears brighter and causes more eye strain and slower reading. The drop shadows in windows 3.11 was attempt to reduce the adverse effects pointer corners. So when you can do rounded corners by the research basically should. Yes the first research on this goes back to road signs before we had computers.
                  I have to witness all user interfaces get dumber because people are in constant fear the computer will turn into a fork and stab them. Sounds like UX research indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post
                    I have to witness all user interfaces get dumber because people are in constant fear the computer will turn into a fork and stab them. Sounds like UX research indeed.
                    Please note the rounded corners one is not linked to interface getting dumber. The UX research on round corners bit was fairly solved in the 1870s and early 1880s with road signs. The choice to use drop shadows instead of proper corners in early computer UX was more the limited number of pixels on computer screens. Yes early people doing computer interfaces with drop shadows knew was not the correct choice. Yes your traffic signs avoid sharp points was not done for a safety reason but for a readability reasons.

The change from drop shadows to rounded buttons was absolutely predictable. Some of the UX changes we are seeing now are nothing do with getting dumber its just we have the screen res to-do the right thing that was known to be the right thing in the 1870s.

I will give you that some of the UX changes make people have to learn less to use their system. Put any modern person in the first car and tell them to drive it. Reality here do that any modern person will crash the controls are too complex. In fact the first person to make a car and drive car was the first person to get a dangerous driving charge and be forbid from driving because the thing was too complex to control.

So interface getting dumber there are tones of things we use where the interface today requires a dumber person to use than it use to. Important question is has the software lost functionality. Like a modern car has more functions than the first car and it way simpler to use all those functions.

Comment

Not gonna happen 'cause the fanboys will prevent any redesign from happening (unless the redesign brings back the 80's vibe).

Comment

Working...
                      X