X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The problem is that none of us over here in KDELand really give a damn about the CLA. You might as well be showing Reefer Madness down at the Weed Store. Now that we've had our laugh I'd like an oz of KDE.
    Sure, because everyone who would care runs away asap.

I can't help but notice you changed GNOME to GTK. Thanks. That gives me Tangent Ammo since GTK is to GNOME what Qt is to KDE. There's just not a whole lot of GNOME CLA arguments to use.
    Hmm, whatever that should have meant.

While GTK may be open and free, you should look at all the paid-for or spyware GPL & GTK software like Audacity, MuseScore, Bibisco, and more. Neither the GTK nor GPL means a product is safe from management and CLAs. Yeah, I know those are programs and not the toolkit. All I have is Tangent Ammo to go on.
    Audacity uses wxWidgets, MuseScore uses Qt and is CLA software, Bibisco is a CLA software and is a electron app.

Spend your Ammo better.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    Waiting for the KDE update to Qt6, after all Qt5 did not get a update since the beginning of the year as it is now Commercial Only made possible by the fact that Qt is not realy free software, its free software as long as it is comfortable for the Qt Company.

This comes with serious issues, as Qt is much more then a UI Toolkit. Qt5 not getting updates is a serious security issue due to the toolkits involvement in the network stack of Qt apps. I hope the various distros soon will drop out Qt5 due to those issues.
    Wrong...https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection

Leave a comment:

• acobar
    replied

Nope, thats a completely different situation. As a challenge, send me a link to an up to date Qt5.15 repo or tarball with GPL3 or LGPL3 license and I already tell you upfront that it is not possible, its Commercial Only aka Proprietary. Due to the Qt Company applying a so called Contributors License Agreement, if you contribute to Qt your rights to that code will be transferred to the Qt company allowing them to re-license that code to whatever they want, including proprietary only as they currently do with everything older then Qt6.

Qt5 as you can get it in the repos of any linux distros has not get updates since the beginning of this year and should because of this be removed from those repos.
    I would point you to the maintained Qt5 KDE repo that get patches, but for what, that is not your real intention, we all know that you just want to spread FUD and muddy anything related to KDE or Qt.

I guess, once a troll, that don't understand how licenses work, a troll forever stays.

Leave a comment:

• gedgon
    replied

As a challenge, send me a link to an up to date Qt5.15 repo or tarball with GPL3 or LGPL3 license and I already tell you upfront that it is not possible, its Commercial Only aka Proprietary.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

I am sure the GTK people are welcoming a discussion on the lack of a proprietary version closed off to the community of GTK. Too bad its truly free software.

Everyone needs to laugh sometimes, it would be a nice cheer up.
    The problem is that none of us over here in KDELand really give a damn about the CLA. You might as well be showing Reefer Madness down at the Weed Store. Now that we've had our laugh I'd like an oz of KDE.

I can't help but notice you changed GNOME to GTK. Thanks. That gives me Tangent Ammo since GTK is to GNOME what Qt is to KDE. There's just not a whole lot of GNOME CLA arguments to use.

While GTK may be open and free, you should look at all the paid-for or spyware GPL & GTK software like Audacity, MuseScore, Bibisco, and more. Neither the GTK nor GPL means a product is safe from management and CLAs. Yeah, I know those are programs and not the toolkit. All I have is Tangent Ammo to go on.

Leave a comment:

• lumks
    replied
    I think it's a much to seriouse situation and gets worse with every new Qt version. I honestly wish the "opensource-Qt" devs would reach out to the GTK devs and try to incooperate the best ideas into something new and usable for both sides to port to.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Homie doing that in the first post means it's open season on the next GNOME thread
    I am sure the GTK people are welcoming a discussion on the lack of a proprietary version closed off to the community of GTK. Too bad its truly free software.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by flakmirror View Post

Ummh, it's under LGPLv3 and GPLv3 it is by definition free software.

Kind of like MySQL is open source even it has Oracle behind it these days.
    Nope, thats a completely different situation. As a challenge, send me a link to an up to date Qt5.15 repo or tarball with GPL3 or LGPL3 license and I already tell you upfront that it is not possible, its Commercial Only aka Proprietary. Due to the Qt Company applying a so called Contributors License Agreement, if you contribute to Qt your rights to that code will be transferred to the Qt company allowing them to re-license that code to whatever they want, including proprietary only as they currently do with everything older then Qt6.

Qt5 as you can get it in the repos of any linux distros has not get updates since the beginning of this year and should because of this be removed from those repos.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Homie doing that in the first post means it's open season on the next GNOME thread

Leave a comment:

• flakmirror
    replied
    Waiting for the KDE update to Qt6, after all Qt5 did not get a update since the beginning of the year as it is now Commercial Only made possible by the fact that Qt is not realy free software, its free software as long as it is comfortable for the Qt Company.

This comes with serious issues, as Qt is much more then a UI Toolkit. Qt5 not getting updates is a serious security issue due to the toolkits involvement in the network stack of Qt apps. I hope the various distros soon will drop out Qt5 due to those issues.
    Ummh, it's under LGPLv3 and GPLv3 it is by definition free software.

Kind of like MySQL is open source even it has Oracle behind it these days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X