No announcement yet.

KDE Making It Easy To Tune Your Laptop's Power Profile, Other Improvements Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL. I've already given him that link every time he starts trolling with the same old Qt LTS nonsense. It falls on deaf ears and the trolling repeats. But hey, what do you expect from a 144Hz disciple?

Comment

"Why does your engineering firm use Solidworks instead of more-permissively-licensed FreeCAD?"
      "Because FreeCAD does a fraction of the things we need it to do for us to make money as an engineering firm."
      "Ah, so you hate free software, then."

-- why the Qt license naysayers will always look somewhat absurd to the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        Everyone needs to laugh sometimes
        Yeah, and we're all laughing at your weak trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by extremesquared View Post
          "Why does your engineering firm use Solidworks instead of more-permissively-licensed FreeCAD?"
          "Because FreeCAD does a fraction of the things we need it to do for us to make money as an engineering firm."
          "Ah, so you hate free software, then."
          What does that have to do with Qt/KDE? An established proprietary program has more functionality than a free one. Surprise? Heck, Solidworks was one of the programs with a hefty student discount when I went to college 15 years ago and all the mechanical engineers were geeking out on it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

What does that have to do with Qt/KDE? An established proprietary program has more functionality than a free one. Surprise? Heck, Solidworks was one of the programs with a hefty student discount when I went to college 15 years ago and all the mechanical engineers were geeking out on it.
            I am pointing out that minor complaints about a software project will fall on deaf ears when it is the only option. The complaints are invalid until they are presented alongside a viable alternative. This is an annoyingly common thing in day-to-day life as well...
            "Why did you choose X? There are problems with X."
            "Because mission cannot be completed with Y."
            "But there are problems with X!"

The amount of anger spawned from this way of thinking is absolutely baffling.

Comment

When I am not writing stuff in C++ and Qt, I know a lot of people who really likes the way Qt is organized in terms of writing software to a point they import it even when they don't make GUI.

Personally I wish old relationship of giving LTS releases to open source developers would be back, but still there is a lot of reasons why people prefer Qt over GTK. For example i always find it impressive how Qt based desktops like Plasma have more features and at the same time higher performance then for example Gnome 3.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

LOL. I've already given him that link every time he starts trolling with the same old Qt LTS nonsense. It falls on deaf ears and the trolling repeats. But hey, what do you expect from a 144Hz disciple?
                Well someone has to take the trophy for spreading misleading one sided BS and/or concern trolling.

On the other hand I am really happy about the battery profiling for laptops, glad that KDE is keeping up the good work.
                Last edited by mdedetrich; 24 July 2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Nope, thats a completely different situation. As a challenge, send me a link to an up to date Qt5.15 repo or tarball with GPL3 or LGPL3 license and I already tell you upfront that it is not possible, its Commercial Only aka Proprietary.
                  It's a common misconception that open source licenses somehow forbid commercial or closed source releases. That simply isn't true and not even the Free Software Foundation mandates otherwise. While you are totally free to try and start a movement that lobbies for this absolutistic view, you are pretty much alone with it for now.

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post
                    People derailing and eating the same bait every single thread.

Meanwhile I'm just here playing with my Steam Deck powered by KDE Plasma and Qt. Valve made sure to cherry-pick only the best technologies in their field.
                    Really, You have possession of a product not shipping for 4 months? Do tell how this has come to be. Don't get me wrong, I love Plasma and have a reservation for a deck, but unless you can post a picture of one in your hands, I'm calling BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Really, You have possession of a product not shipping for 4 months? Do tell how this has come to be. Don't get me wrong, I love Plasma and have a reservation for a deck, but unless you can post a picture of one in your hands, I'm calling BS.
                      I think that was a figure of speech...

Comment

Working...
                      X