KDE Making It Easy To Tune Your Laptop's Power Profile, Other Improvements Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Nope, thats a completely different situation. As a challenge, send me a link to an up to date Qt5.15 repo or tarball with GPL3 or LGPL3 license and I already tell you upfront that it is not possible, its Commercial Only aka Proprietary. Due to the Qt Company applying a so called Contributors License Agreement, if you contribute to Qt your rights to that code will be transferred to the Qt company allowing them to re-license that code to whatever they want, including proprietary only as they currently do with everything older then Qt6.

Qt5 as you can get it in the repos of any linux distros has not get updates since the beginning of this year and should because of this be removed from those repos.
    I would point you to the maintained Qt5 KDE repo that get patches, but for what, that is not your real intention, we all know that you just want to spread FUD and muddy anything related to KDE or Qt.

I guess, once a troll, that don't understand how licenses work, a troll forever stays.

Comment

Waiting for the KDE update to Qt6, after all Qt5 did not get a update since the beginning of the year as it is now Commercial Only made possible by the fact that Qt is not realy free software, its free software as long as it is comfortable for the Qt Company.

This comes with serious issues, as Qt is much more then a UI Toolkit. Qt5 not getting updates is a serious security issue due to the toolkits involvement in the network stack of Qt apps. I hope the various distros soon will drop out Qt5 due to those issues.
      Wrong...https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The problem is that none of us over here in KDELand really give a damn about the CLA. You might as well be showing Reefer Madness down at the Weed Store. Now that we've had our laugh I'd like an oz of KDE.
        Sure, because everyone who would care runs away asap.

I can't help but notice you changed GNOME to GTK. Thanks. That gives me Tangent Ammo since GTK is to GNOME what Qt is to KDE. There's just not a whole lot of GNOME CLA arguments to use.
        Hmm, whatever that should have meant.

While GTK may be open and free, you should look at all the paid-for or spyware GPL & GTK software like Audacity, MuseScore, Bibisco, and more. Neither the GTK nor GPL means a product is safe from management and CLAs. Yeah, I know those are programs and not the toolkit. All I have is Tangent Ammo to go on.
        Audacity uses wxWidgets, MuseScore uses Qt and is CLA software, Bibisco is a CLA software and is a electron app.

Spend your Ammo better.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post

I would point you to the maintained Qt5 KDE repo that get patches, but for what, that is not your real intention, we all know that you just want to spread FUD and muddy anything related to KDE or Qt.

I guess, once a troll, that don't understand how licenses work, a troll forever stays.
          I am aware of the repo on kde invent, its about on the same level as some stuck software still patching GTK2 like Microsoft has done for Visual Studio Mac.

If you would put some effort into it, there is also the Qt5 Patchset from qt.io with "some" security fixes. That would have been a bigger issue for me to argue against.

And for that "FUD" thing, I would see myself as a KDE advocate, advocating for KDE to end their abusive relationship with that company and make their promise of freedom real.
          Last edited by Alexmitter; 24 July 2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

You would be surprised, Microsoft is still patching GTK2 as they rely on it for their Visual Studio Mac, that is on the same level.

Comment

Sure, because everyone who would care runs away asap.

Hmm, whatever that should have meant.

Audacity uses wxWidgets, MuseScore uses Qt and is CLA software, Bibisco is a CLA software and is a electron app.

Spend your Ammo better.
              I should. I'm normally better at that. My apologies for the embarrassingly crappy rebuttal.

I've had a long week. I don't know what experience you have with welding and painting outdoors in 95F temps, 70% humidity, but, basically, I'm wore out right now. Gonna have highs between 101 and 105 next week. Yay.

Comment

You would be surprised, Microsoft is still patching GTK2 as they rely on it for their Visual Studio Mac, that is on the same level.
                And that's fine. This is how Free Software works. Wasn't that your point?

Comment

People derailing and eating the same bait every single thread.

Meanwhile I'm just here playing with my Steam Deck powered by KDE Plasma and Qt. Valve made sure to cherry-pick only the best technologies in their field.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                    Not wanting to distract, but I dont know where to post this
                    Michael gnome does also have a weekly news now: https://thisweek.gnome.org
                    They are so buttblasted they said This Week on Matrix was the inspiration for that blog omfg this is pure comedy gold. Wait a second, didn't a guy named buttblasted or brainfogged tried to make a weekly GNOME news too? I remember.

Comment

Nope, thats a completely different situation. As a challenge, send me a link to an up to date Qt5.15 repo or tarball with GPL3 or LGPL3 license and I already tell you upfront that it is not possible, its Commercial Only aka Proprietary. Due to the Qt Company applying a so called Contributors License Agreement, if you contribute to Qt your rights to that code will be transferred to the Qt company allowing them to re-license that code to whatever they want, including proprietary only as they currently do with everything older then Qt6.

Qt5 as you can get it in the repos of any linux distros has not get updates since the beginning of this year and should because of this be removed from those repos.
                      Qt5 super module. Contribute to qt/qt5 development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                      X