PipeWire 0.3.32 Released With Numerous Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Not yet, until a pwsuspender script is made.
    But why Windows-style exclusive mode? There should be a way to lower the latency...
    CoreAudio on macOS is great in terms of latency even without exclusive mode. Even on Hackintosh. So that is definitely possible

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

You know that's the same crowd ? Bluez, PA, PW. I have doubts they are able to do anything of quality, but i'l hold forming my opinion on PW (bluez and pa suck balls).
      So there are suitable alternatives? Perhaps you're living in some twisted parallel universe?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

So there are suitable alternatives? Perhaps you're living in some twisted parallel universe?
        There can't be any alternatives. By design. For example, you can't have bluetooth without PA.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          But why Windows-style exclusive mode?
          This is a pre-requisite for SPDIF or HDMI passthrough of compressed audio.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
            Ubuntu is always a bit more conservative compared to Fedora.
            I expect Ubuntu to switch to Pipewire in time for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS which will use wayland by default.
            Not always - ironically, this is because they adopted things such as PA too quickly. They're tired of people complaining about things that aren't ready yet, so, they've taken a more conservative approach for the past few years.
            But yeah otherwise I agree about 22.04 adopting PW and maybe Wayland too.

Comment

Sadly no support for hd audio codecs in pipewire either, so for me its just as useless as pulseaudio.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Not always - ironically, this is because they adopted things such as PA too quickly. They're tired of people complaining about things that aren't ready yet, so, they've taken a more conservative approach for the past few years.
                But yeah otherwise I agree about 22.04 adopting PW and maybe Wayland too.
                PipeWire is released as stable software, however I understand that Ubuntu like many other distributions wants to wait for it to be tested.
                I use Tumbleweed where they made it easy to switch from Pulse to PipeWire, however Pulse remains the default for now, as there is no certainty that PipeWire will suit all use cases and configurations. In the end it would be enough to insert it in the repository and whoever wants to use it installs it and enables the service, it's not that difficult.

Comment

Restored support for alsamixer being able to see the mixer controls.
                  Very important feature. With PulseAudio, I like to configure Audacious Media Player to use the ALSA emulation so that spinning the scroll wheel on its tray icon changes the system volume rather than the application volume.

Comment

I've been using Pipewire for maybe 5 months now and I love it. I'd love to see some software use it natively for playback though.

Comment

gens
                      I have doubts they are able to do anything of quality, but i'l hold forming my opinion on PW (bluez and pa suck balls).
                      In what way is it "the same crowd" apart from being part of the Fedora project?
                      Do you know who is the main developer behind Pipewire? It is Wim Taymans:

The co-creator of Gstreamer.

Comment

Working...
                      X