KDE Plasma Mobile 21.07 Released With More Responsive Shell, Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MadeUpName

Which is why you will never be allowed to have one. Spying is here to stay and you won't have a license to sell phones for long if you don't allow it.

An American company.
    Still around.
    Time will tell if you are right.
    I think not.

Comment

Is it possible to install Plasma Mobile on NON-Pinephones?

Comment

Originally posted by Firnefex View Post
        Is it possible to install Plasma Mobile on NON-Pinephones?
        I would recommend to take a look at the device support here https://postmarketos.org

Plasma mobile can be installed directly by the postmarketos installer.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It *was* uglier before, but the home screen looks pretty good now. There may be some rough spots, but hopefully these are fixed.
          Make sure you are looking at recent screenshots because the older ones indeed are ugly (e.g. bottom bar buttons out of proportion).

Weren't you the guy calling KDE "shit" long ago?
          GNOME surely fits better on a phone, but the problem is that it was completely unprepared before Purism did the chores.
          Yeah, I was the guy calling KDE shit. It ugly and crammed with every feature, option, knob, toolbar, button, context menu under the sun with multiple levels of nested context menus. It's terrible.

I still think its cool that KDE actually does have something for the mobile though, because while the desktop does exist, we can't pretend that laptops and mobiles does not, and I think it would be nice with alternatives to Android in the mobile space.

I wish good luck to the KDE project, and hope their mobile experience continues to improve and gets refined.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
            Its progress can be seen on https://www.plasma-mobile.org/blog/
            Good to see in this topic.
            BTW, do you know by any chance if SteamDeck is planning to use this "Plasma Mobile" or regular Plasma?

I also wonder what exactly is this "Plasma Mobile", it's not really explained in FAQ.

We know it's not linux distro, we know there's set of mobile applications, like Callindori, that can be compiled on regular distro (they exists in ArchLinux's AUR), and I now read about patched KWin (for Android's flinger) or special plasma panel...
            It doesn't help that you don't have in downloads simply tarballs as release, but only distro-dumps of one-big-tarball per distro (it's more like BSD way).

There's was much hype at some time on KDE sites (and your blog) about Kirigami apps and "Convergence", that would allow switching of apps between Regular(KVM, like Ddesktop or laptop), Tablet and Phone interface on the fly.
            And while I understand that maybe Kin and Qt would need to be heavy patched for Android drivers(BLOBs), we got totally different set of applications too. Is it bad? I don't know, but it's generally against all this Kirigami's 'convergence' philosphy, you've presented not so long ago.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
              [...] your blog [...]
              cheers
              Nice to talk to you, although it seems there was a mix-up with my name (Nth_man, here since 2012) and NGraham (here since 2018)

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                Nice to talk to you, although it seems there was a mix-up with my name (Nth_man, here since 2012) and NGraham (here since 2018)

Cheers!

Yup, that's true.

Comment

Working...
                X