Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andrea76
    replied
    So, the user should learn from them: "No, you cannot use tray bar" "No, you cannot use taskbar" "No, you cannot minimize".
    The simplest and fastest solution for basic users: returning to Windows.

So, which user is GNOME for??????

This is a BIG problem, since I am not a "basic" windows user, but a Linux user from 1996.

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    JackLilhammers

Gnome and Gtk are developed by Red Hat et al.
    I still don't get your point?
    Yes, so the single most active contributor to Gnome are RedHat employees?
    Ok, and then what?
    BTW, the newly released gtk4 was mainly developed by Emanuele Bassi who was employed by the Gnome Foundation itself to work on this.
    Regarding your blog post about the "On the greying of GNOME", it's not like it's some sort of criticism of the project, it's just interesting statistics and some conclusions.
    Looking at the comments section of said article shows that many of the current Gnome developers, like Emanuele Bassi and Allan day, only have praise for the author. For example, Emanuele Bassi (gtk4 creator among many other things) had this to say:

"Thanks for compiling this data!
    One explanation for the peak achieved in 2010 is that we had an “all hands on deck” for the 3.0 release; we had a lot of components being ported to GTK3, a lot of deprecations, and an overall consolidation of projects. It would be interesting to see the trend lines for the amount of modules were added and removed from what we consider “GNOME” over the years."
    Last edited by tomas; 20 July 2021, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by tomas View Post
    Yes, so? He specifically mentions that the various components making up Gnome are developed by volunteers and companies
    Linux is developed by companies and some volunteers, Gnome and Gtk are developed by Red Hat et al.
    There's a difference and it shows.
    The GNOME project turned 23 this year, and despite equally persistent rumors to the contrary, it's still alive and kicking. Just how alive, though?

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Mez'
    How so? Be specific. And I'm not talking about his latest post in this series, part 4, which (rightfully in my opinion) got criticized also within the Gnome community.
    That's part 4 I'm talking about, indeed. It was preposterous.

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    All I'm saying is: however you do it, use the resources more efficiently than for pointless NIH apps.
    Please see my follow-up post here

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...76#post1268476

regarding this issue, specifically taking Epiphany as an example.

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    Mez'

His blog post was arrogance impersonated. It literally meant "we don't care one bit about what users think or want".
    How so? Be specific. And I'm not talking about his latest post in this series, part 4, which (rightfully in my opinion) got criticized also within the Gnome community.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Mez'

I'd recommend you read this blog post:

https://blogs.gnome.org/tbernard/202...unity-power-1/

Especially this

"This leads them to think that GNOME is developed by a centralized company with a hierarchical structure, where developers are assigned tasks by their manager, based on a roadmap set by higher management, with a marketing department coordinating public-facing messaging, and so on. Basically, they think we’re a tech company. "

And this

"General confusion around how resources are allocated (“Why are they working on X when they don’t even have Y?”)"

It's from a Gnome community member but applies to most open source projects.
    I am well aware of that. And nobody here thinks that's how they are structured.
    But then why are the surrounding apps updates reported in the same news and not as a separate entity?

All I'm saying is: however you do it, use the resources more efficiently than for pointless NIH apps.
    Last edited by Mez'; 20 July 2021, 07:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• q2dg
    replied
    I beg for support for bridged networking in Gnome Boxes . That's all

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    tomas
    Tobias Bernard's blog is useful to have an idea about where Gnome's design is going, but a part from that he's too opinionated for me and that casts a shadow on anything else he writes...
    By the way, he doesn't mention the fact that Gnome and Gtk are develped mostly by Red Hat. I'm not saying that they're the sole contributor, but they're by far the more important
    His blog post was arrogance impersonated.
    It literally meant "we don't care one bit about what users think or want".

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    [USER="102886"] Gnome and Gtk are develped mostly by Red Hat. I'm not saying that they're the sole contributor, but they're by far the more important
    Yes, so? He specifically mentions that the various components making up Gnome are developed by volunteers and companies:

"The people actually making the product are either volunteers (and thus answer to nobody), or work for one of about a dozen companies employing people to work on various parts of GNOME. All of these companies have different interests and areas of focus depending on how they use GNOME, and tend to contribute accordingly."

If you're a paying customer of RedHat, especially a major customer, then of course it's easier to influence where they should put their resources regarding Gnome.
    The misconception seems to be that people think developer resources are exchangeable and that the developers of say Epiphany can be directed to work on something completely different that the user deems more important. This is often not the case. Just as an example, the main contributors to Epiphany, Michael Catanzaro and Xan Lopez, are both employed by the consultancy firm Igalia. What does that tell us? That Igalia have one more more customers actually paying them to develop Epiphany. That might seem strange given the state of Epiphany compared to major browsers, but that is beside the point. Perhaps Epiphany is used in som kiosk mode somewhere or embedded into some product? I don't know.
    Last edited by tomas; 20 July 2021, 07:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X