X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by tomas View Post

You are free to use any other desktop environment available on Linux. Why should they listen to you? Just because you are a user and that is what you would like to see? They don't agree with your vision. They are free to go in their own direction, and you are free to use the result of their labor or not. Thinking that they should listen to you and other users and do what you tell them will only get you frustrated and angry. Now, the result of them not doing what you think is necessary in Gnome may lead to a majority of users deciding to use some other desktop environment on Linux, like KDE Plasma or Cinnamon or Mate or.... etc. But again, the Gnome Project are free to persue their vision and you are free to choose something else, even choose some other operating system entirely.
    They don't have to follow any single user that has a complaint, but they should "listen" to their users as a whole, and they'd have a very powerful tool to do that: anonymous opt-in telemetry of installed extesions
    What better way to know which features should be embedded than to measure those really used by your users?

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Originally posted byfinalzone
    Press space bar to preview a selected .jpg or .png.

Thanks, that sounds like it offers some improvement.
    You talked all that nonsense, did all those replies with breakdowns of each sentence, but didn't know that spacebar previews an image? That works on any OS, noob. Do better next time.

I provide way more information/context/everything on Phoronix better than you do, ElectricPrism. You provide nothing. Never forget that.

edit: Absolutely f'n nothing. Michael please DO NOT censor posts anymore. That's not a way to treat a lifetime phoronix subscriber who only tries to help people on here. This worthless f*ck ElectricPrism did nothing except whine and expect praise, and should not be rewarded for that bullshit. He should be given no credit. F'n prick really set me off this morning. I'm in California too. Come see me.
    Last edited by perpetually high; 20 July 2021, 09:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    tomas
    That post is not a critique of Gnome, at all. It was just meant to show a little data about how much Red Hat contributes to the project.
    The point is that a company whose source of revenue are cloud services and support for a server operating system is hardly going to focus its efforts on the desktop side of things.
    This doesn't mean that Gnome can be broken, because it can't.
    The problem is that it just need to be enough for Red Hat's server use case.

That's not the case for Ubuntu and PopOS that must ship with a few extensions to make it barely acceptable for a more typical desktop user.
    And if their target user worked with images that wouldn't be enough because Nautilus and the file chooser are the worst at dealing with folders with lots of pictures

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    That's the problem with y'all, ElectricPrism

Bunch of damn whiners and people who expect everything to be handed to them.

Go do something about it instead of complaining on Phoronix, tough guy. "Check my impulsiveness" The nerve on this dude.

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    andrea76

The problem with them is that they disappear after X seconds
    No they don't.
    That's not how notifications work in Gnome 40. It's similar to how notifications work in for example Android.
    For example, new mail notification from Evolution will not automatically disappear in Gnome 40.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Michael ??

Why were my original posts toward ElectricPrism deleted?

What's up with that censorship bud.

The guy cried on here, and then a bunch of other whiners liked his post. Go comment on KDE posts, and stay off GNOME threads if you don't like them.

Sad bunch. Ain't fooling nobody with those long posts ElectricPrism.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    As for Epiphany, can it run sandboxed with Flatpak? Because I don't need a web browser to have access to all of my file system, just ~/Downloads.

As for Evince, I want it sandboxed with Flatpak so I can open unknown PDF files from untrusted sources. PDF can execute JavaScript code, it is not just a document with text, images and drawings.
    I would also like a sepia mode to make it more comfortable to read.
    When the dark mode is activated it only makes the document dark but not the whole user interface and theme dark.

As for gedit, it still does not support syntax highlighting for ASP.NET views (.cshtml files).

As for GNOME Calculator, it lacks support for plots which is supported by calculators in other systems such as Windows and macOS.

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    wake me up when gnome decided to make DE for PC user who don't have and like touch-screen stop copying mac and windows 8 look
    maybe add server-side decorations support too
    From what I understand the developers themselves does not consider themselves chasing a touch-screen approach or copying Mac or Windows 8, they idea is a "modern desktop", so they want a DE for PC, but they have a different idea how that one is.

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    That's great but they still don't have Dash to Dock & Dash to Panel or Arc Menu working quite right with Gnome 40.
    I use Dash to Panel and ArcMenu on GNOME 40 and it works fine. I don't think Dash to Dock works yet though.

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
    On day I'll open an article about GNOME update and I'll learn that they have dash-to-dock or dash-to-panel baked in and there won't be any flamewar in the comment section. Maybe in another life?
    Well you don't need to pay attention to any flame war or care about what other people think. Just use whatever you like and be happy about it. If your favorite extension isn't built-in then why does that matter when you can just enable that extension and have it exactly how you want it?

Leave a comment:

• ColdDistance
    replied
    Is there any news about DMA-BUF support for Radeon GPUs?

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    Originally posted by andrea76 View Post

So, the user should learn from them: "No, you cannot use tray bar" "No, you cannot use taskbar" "No, you cannot minimize".
    The simplest and fastest solution for basic users: returning to Windows.

So, which user is GNOME for??????

This is a BIG problem, since I am not a "basic" windows user, but a Linux user from 1996.
    You are free to use any other desktop environment available on Linux. Why should they listen to you? Just because you are a user and that is what you would like to see? They don't agree with your vision. They are free to go in their own direction, and you are free to use the result of their labor or not. Thinking that they should listen to you and other users and do what you tell them will only get you frustrated and angry. Now, the result of them not doing what you think is necessary in Gnome may lead to a majority of users deciding to use some other desktop environment on Linux, like KDE Plasma or Cinnamon or Mate or.... etc. But again, the Gnome Project are free to persue their vision and you are free to choose something else, even choose some other operating system entirely.

Leave a comment:

• andrea76
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Have you ever heard of notifications?
    The problem with them is that they disappear after X seconds. A status icon in tray area remains in that place forever...
    Have you ever seen the new messages icon of whatsapp?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X