X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHOY
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

That is cool but for a mobile perspective although Gnome 3 is not that snappy DE I would recommend for a device with low computational power...
    Don't be a pessimist, a few more million Canonidollars and that thing is going to be flying. For the non South Africans out there, that's around 78 Canonical's Prolific Developer Phoronixes.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by tomas View Post
    You-

😊
    That is cool but for a mobile perspective although Gnome 3 is not that snappy DE I would recommend for a device with low computational power...

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    You-

However a lot of future Gnome design discussions are taking place in the libadwaita space - an attempt at creating a utility library for the gnome HIG as it develops and adapts. there are red hatters involved, but the most prolific contributors here are from elsewhere.
    Yes, libadwaita (previously libhandy) has mainly been developed by Purism, the company behind the Librem 5.
    See

https://puri.sm/posts/making-a-platf...e-for-everyone

and here

https://puri.sm/posts/proud-to-be-to...ibutor-to-gtk4

😊

Leave a comment:

• markus40
    replied
    I just come and read the desktop posts just to laugh at the fact, people getting railed up because there is ONE desktop out of many, which doesn't have a dock. Minimize/maximize, tray etc. by default.

I, too, use *nix since 1996 and use Gnome since 1999. Since Gnome 40 I got rid of dash2dock, workspace2dock and minimize/maximize. I use it for over 4 months now and don't miss them. I DO miss the Gnome desktop/workflow when I have to use my work Windows 10 and MacBook. But since I work at home now, I loaded up WinSCP portable and Cyber Duck and work mostly on my Gnome laptop. The only extension I added which enhance the functionality is hot edge. Because I got addicted to the bottom edge to show me the overview. Far better, in my opinion, than any dock.

But keep saying to yourself nobody likes Gnome...
    Last edited by markus40; 20 July 2021, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    tomas
    That post is not a critique of Gnome, at all. It was just meant to show a little data about how much Red Hat contributes to the project.
    It does contribute a lot.

However a lot of future Gnome design discussions are taking place in the libadwaita space - an attempt at creating a utility library for the gnome HIG as it develops and adapts. there are red hatters involved, but the most prolific contributors here are from elsewhere. As others use the library, their input and impact will be amplified within the gnome ecosystem.

So while numbers are mostl gnome, impact can be measured in different ways, from contributions to the toolkit (where AFAIK a lot of developers over the years have disapeared into the googlesphere) to utility libtaries to the shell, to actual apps etc.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Really there's no reason to care about Gnome that much it is just a question of months before IBM closes the sinks for anything related with the Gnome Project.

Leave a comment:

• AHOY
    replied
    I really like the direction GNOME is going. They should go even harder and never look back. It's working

Leave a comment:

• AHOY
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    2) implement a compositor
    They could just use wayfire or kwinft

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by tomas View Post
    JackLilhammers

Then they would also need a way to measure all users that do not use any extensions at all. That just go with the defaults.
    This telemetry report could be a json with just a system uuid and a list of the installed extensions. An empty list means defaults

Leave a comment:

• tomas
    replied
    JackLilhammers

Then they would also need a way to measure all users that do not use any extensions at all. That just go with the defaults.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X