No announcement yet.

GNOME 41 Alpha Released With Many Desktop Changes Accumulating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just come and read the desktop posts just to laugh at the fact, people getting railed up because there is ONE desktop out of many, which doesn't have a dock. Minimize/maximize, tray etc. by default.

I, too, use *nix since 1996 and use Gnome since 1999. Since Gnome 40 I got rid of dash2dock, workspace2dock and minimize/maximize. I use it for over 4 months now and don't miss them. I DO miss the Gnome desktop/workflow when I have to use my work Windows 10 and MacBook. But since I work at home now, I loaded up WinSCP portable and Cyber Duck and work mostly on my Gnome laptop. The only extension I added which enhance the functionality is hot edge. Because I got addicted to the bottom edge to show me the overview. Far better, in my opinion, than any dock.

But keep saying to yourself nobody likes Gnome...
    Last edited by markus40; 20 July 2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

You-

However a lot of future Gnome design discussions are taking place in the libadwaita space - an attempt at creating a utility library for the gnome HIG as it develops and adapts. there are red hatters involved, but the most prolific contributors here are from elsewhere.
      Yes, libadwaita (previously libhandy) has mainly been developed by Purism, the company behind the Librem 5.
      See

https://puri.sm/posts/making-a-platf...e-for-everyone

and here

https://puri.sm/posts/proud-to-be-to...ibutor-to-gtk4

😊

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
        You-

😊
        That is cool but for a mobile perspective although Gnome 3 is not that snappy DE I would recommend for a device with low computational power...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

That is cool but for a mobile perspective although Gnome 3 is not that snappy DE I would recommend for a device with low computational power...
          Don't be a pessimist, a few more million Canonidollars and that thing is going to be flying. For the non South Africans out there, that's around 78 Canonical's Prolific Developer Phoronixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            Bull.
            Split pane is better than snapping in every possible way. Nemo does it though. Majority of ordinary users want to be able to sort and transfer files easily and properly (photos would be a great example in this holiday period). At this point, Nautilus can barely do that.
            Nautilus (Files) allows tab or new window as an alternate approach with minimal clutter as basic functionality. Open a folder you wish to import files as tab/new window then drag the existing files to that folder. Having two Files windows to transfer files flow better in this case. Ordinary users are actually creative with available tools and will mostly use mentioned method without the need of split pane, an optional functionality hardly missed.

And that's why many users have switched to Nemo even for simple file transfers, as it is much more featured and professional looking than what Nautilus has become.
            Define which users. Ordinary users who rarely visit a forum don't know about Nemo nor Nautilus as they use the default file management i.e Nautilus on GNOME Shell which is the topic.

Comment

if Gnome removed the desktop icons, why the need of a wallpaper at all, isn't it distractive and obsolete?
              Especially when you call the overview.. it just feels weird. Unless you offer by default some icons functionality

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

It does not run Gnome 3 (Shell and Mutter).
                It runs Phosh which has been written from scratch:

Purism makes premium phones, laptops, mini PCs and servers running free software on PureOS. Purism products respect people's privacy and freedom while protecting their security.

Moved to GNOME/World/Phosh . For PureOS or packaging see here.

​​​​​For the apps it is running Gnome apps (gtk4 etc), but that is not a ptoblem. It is snappy, especially when considering newer apps using gtk4 which support HW-acceleration through Open GL ES.

Comment

Haters: "Gnome is so different from KDE, it sucks! hahahahaha!!"

also:

User: "I don't like feature X in software Y !"
                  Haters: "So what? Linux is all about choice, just use a different program, also did you ever contribute to open source???"

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

It does not run Gnome 3 (Shell and Mutter).
                    It runs Phosh which has been written from scratch:

Purism makes premium phones, laptops, mini PCs and servers running free software on PureOS. Purism products respect people's privacy and freedom while protecting their security.

Moved to GNOME/World/Phosh . For PureOS or packaging see here.

​​​​​For the apps it is running Gnome apps (gtk4 etc), but that is not a ptoblem. It is snappy, especially when considering newer apps using gtk4 which support HW-acceleration through Open GL ES.
                    Fair enough! Hence that best thing in Gnome just happened outside Gnome, clearly.

Comment

On the one hand, I respect Gnome having a vison for things and wanting to stick to it. On the other hand, some of their choices around things like the system tray just seem to be them being stubborn. Using third party programs that expect a system tray is problematic. I have to use Microsoft Teams for work and when I use the Linux native client the system tray icon is necessary for certain functionality. Sure, blame Microsoft but the reality is that Gnome hasn't come up with a better solution for this use case and doesn't have the ability to get people on board by leveraging market share.

As for things like desktop icons. Gnome doesn't want them. Ok fine. But clearly users do. The answer seems to be use something other than Gnome. That's kind of frustrating to have to go to a different DE because this functionality is lacking and whether it's ugly or cluttered or not, a lot of users use the desktop in this way.

It's all well and good that Gnome wants to do things a certain way, but they also have to be realistic about user expectations for a computer and the functions at their disposal. Extensions and alterations to Gnome by Red Hat (Shell Classic) and Ubuntu (the default extensions they use) would seem to indicate that there is a desire for these functions to be included by more than a few users.

Comment

Working...
                      X