Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 41 Alpha Released With Many Desktop Changes Accumulating

Phoronix: GNOME 41 Alpha Released With Many Desktop Changes Accumulating

The GNOME project is out today with their first alpha release of the forthcoming GNOME 41 desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wake me up when gnome decided to make DE for PC user who don't have and like touch-screen stop copying mac and windows 8 look
    maybe add server-side decorations support too

Comment

That's great but they still don't have Dash to Dock & Dash to Panel or Arc Menu working quite right with Gnome 40.

I'm actually getting tired of fixing extensions that give me core functionality I need in a Office use case. The appeal with Gnome was "It did basic functions that I needed it to do, looked good and got out of the way".

My daily is Sway. I just downloaded KDE, after 15 years maybe I will return to KDE since Steam Deck is using it and it should get a lot more users, attention and love.

I won't miss the regular Gnome Extension breakage, the lack of scaling pictures to a size I can see easily on 4k, the lack of Image Previews when selecting a .jpg or .png to upload in GTK FIle Chooser, lack of Split Pane in Nautilus, lack of typeahead, lack of launching .desktop launcher's or having a workaround, the hackish way I need to set folder Icons in Gnome, or the nauseating zooming in and zooming out UX

I've always hated the taskbar auto-hiding on Windows and it's the same on Linux -- I want to see what actions / commands are available to me not "hide them" someplace and pretend they don't exist.

Gnome wants to do what Gnome wants to do and that's fine, but it's really nice that they have some serious competition so I -- a user -- can have some decent choices. Dolphin & Index file managers are the shining star of KDE.
      Last edited by ElectricPrism; 19 July 2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

i wish if Xfce/LXQt/LXDE jump to wayland bus

Comment

On day I'll open an article about GNOME update and I'll learn that they have dash-to-dock or dash-to-panel baked in and there won't be any flamewar in the comment section. Maybe in another life?

Comment

I hate how the web page title isn't visible in gnome 40 despite wasting so much space in the upper screen border. The black bar has surprisingly few features considering the number of pixels its reserving on a 4k screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
              wake me up when gnome decided to make DE for PC user who don't have and like touch-screen stop copying mac and windows 8 look
              maybe add server-side decorations support too
              If you follow the developers you would know that atleast one of the designers uses an ultrawide monitor and it works well there. others also use it on their desktops.

The new layout also works great on laptops.

The complaint that it is designed for tablet style devices is tired. just because you dont like it, it doesnt mean it isnt designed for normal dsktops. You are free to dislike it and use other desktops, just dont pretend that it is tablet focussed when it is mostly keyboard focussed.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                The complaint that it is designed for tablet style devices is tired. just because you dont like it, it doesnt mean it isnt designed for normal dsktops. You are free to dislike it and use other desktops, just dont pretend that it is tablet focussed when it is mostly keyboard focussed.
                Some people just complain something they don't like, even they don't even know what they don't like

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  the lack of Image Previews when selecti/ng a .jpg or .png to upload in GTK FIle Chooser
                  Press space bar to preview a selected .jpg or .png.

, lack of Split Pane in Nautilus,
                  Hardly missed, up to that power user to create an extension for that purpose and then propose to the team.
                  lack of typeahead,
                  On which application? Will you be able to demonstrate the usefulness on that application and propose a suggestion like this example ?
                  lack of launching .desktop launcher's or having a workaround,
                  Where exactly? On Application view where icons can be placed inside a folder application?

I've always hated the taskbar auto-hiding on Windows and it's the same on Linux -- I want to see what actions / commands are available to me not "hide them" someplace and pretend they don't exist.
                  GNOME Shell does not use taskbar by default for a long time. Depending of the distribution, GNOME Classic, an extended GNOME Shell, provides taskbar for peruse.

Gnome wants to do what Gnome wants to do and that's fine, but it's really nice that they have some serious competition so I -- a user -- can have some decent choices. Dolphin & Index file managers are the shining star of KDE.
                  Think GNOME as a different desktop environment rather than clone of another desktop environment like KDE. Majority of ordinary users care less about the advanced application like Dolphin to access their files through clutter. The forum is hardly a place to address the issue, filing a ticket with a detailed rationale on a feature you deem useful not only for an individual but for the public.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high
                    Oh my god, respectfully, shut the hell up.
                    Request denied. Also, keep the impulsive emotions in check.

Imagine downloading an ALPHA operating system
                    Reading comprehension matters. You scanned the text and drew an incorrect conclusion that I referring to Gnome 41.

and complaining it's not working in an office setting and backwards compatible with all of your extensions.
                    Incorrect inference.

You're not paying anyone a dime to use GNOME
                    How the fuck do you know that? You don't. That's a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the world we live in today -- people are LAZY and like to ASSUME things based on the LIMITED information they can see. This creates STEREOTYPES and lazy hive-think leads to the devolution of our societies. /rant

I could slam dunk you on all the Linux Workstations, Servers, Consoles, TVs, and other devices I have and the exact number of people using them but no I don't think I will.

I'm not gonna even start on your post, the guy above me took care of it. But man you sound like you whine a lot. Again, respectfully
                    Bro -- take a step back and realize -- you are whining about your perceiving me "whining". You are complaining about me complaining (about something unrelated to either of us). There's a word for that, it's called:

Hypocrisy.

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt you just had a stressful week or are not sleeping or eating, hell if you were here I'd buy you a beer.

Gnome devs have made a fascinating and remarkably clear vision -- credit to them, but if there is one thing that they are infamous for it's -- ignoring user feedback. While some criticisms of them are unhinged emotional tumbleweeds, others like the one I posted above are legitimate criticism of technical failings that I have personally observed for myself and users ages 14 to 81.

Maybe next time you are so frustrated by an internet post go lift some weights or do some pushups or something constructive.

Comment

Working...
                    X