X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unic0rn
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    The forum is hardly a place to address the issue, filing a ticket with a detailed rationale on a feature you deem useful not only for an individual but for the public.
    If the GNOME team would give a damn about the public, GNOME 3 wouldn't be the clusterfuck it is.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Press space bar to preview a selected .jpg or .png.
    Thanks, that sounds like it offers some improvement.

(Part of that criticism is just apps being stuck in GTK2 File Chooser, it's been a long 10 years and a consistent problem on Craigslist, Ebay and other sites for my Gnome users.)

>, lack of Split Pane in Nautilus,

Hardly missed, up to that power user to create an extension for that purpose and then propose to the team.
    It's mostly a non-issue, I can always spawn a second window and tile one to the left and the other to the right -- the siderbars might add some extra dead-space. I think Dolphin just did such an amazing job even with "Copy Here"/ "Move Here" on drag&drop & "[Copy to/Move to Right" on Split pane.

On which application? Will you be able to demonstrate the usefulness on that application and propose a suggestion like this example ?
    Typeahead was removed but patched back in by some devs -- you can get the patched Nautilus here:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nautilus-typeahead/

Basically for old users who had developed a workflow on Windows (90s/00s?) Type-ahead allows you to jump to directories/files by typing the first few letters of the name. So if you have 1000 files in a directory you can quickly find what you are looking for without using the "Interactive Search" which takes out out of the Directory File Tree. (I prefer to know where things are located and not do the apple thing where the entire contents of the hard drive are in a single alphabetized searchable directory)

>lack of launching .desktop launcher's or having a workaround,
    Where exactly? On Application view where icons can be placed inside a folder application?
    I maintain my own custom .desktop launchers similar to `~/.local/share/applications` -- essentially Nautilus removed the functionality to execute the launchers. I 100% understand they were simplifying and dropping legacy to move to GTK4, and that idealistically (and I agree) there could have been a 3rd party launcher that essentially opened that file-type to achieve the same functionality.

Similar to removal of Desktop Icon functionality (which was later re-implemented as a Gnome Shell Extension), the .desktop Launcher support really needed to be seperate of the "File Manager" the same way that "Explorer.exe" in Windows 98 really had no business browsing Local Files aswell as being a Web Page Browser.

>I've always hated the taskbar auto-hiding on Windows and it's the same on Linux -- I want to see what actions / commands are available to me not "hide them" someplace and pretend they don't exist.
    GNOME Shell does not use taskbar by default for a long time. Depending of the distribution, GNOME Classic, an extended GNOME Shell, provides taskbar for peruse.
    Right, I had used Gnome since the 2.x days. I'm proud of them for the 40.x bottom dock. My complaint was merely that it's hidden behind a auto-hide.

Think GNOME as a different desktop environment rather than clone of another desktop environment like KDE. Majority of ordinary users care less about the advanced application like Dolphin to access their files through clutter.
    Of course, we have successfully used Gnome in multiple offices with extensions and their claim to fame has always been keeping it simple. Sometimes they just have a habit of oversimplifying which leads to complicating like features that should be in Gnome Settings are in Gnome Tweaks to name one oversimplification.

The forum is hardly a place to address the issue, filing a ticket with a detailed rationale on a feature you deem useful not only for an individual but for the public.
    I agree, and I assure you many a time I have done just that -- filed tickets with rational to try to get consideration as design changes are about to occur in Gnome / Nautilus. Many people have done the same too, usually with limited success -- the problem with visionaries is that they are often more disagreeable than agreeable -- and like I said in my original post -- I 100% respect devs right to work on features that interest them & pursue their vision of perfection. A lot of the rational I have heard is that to push forward old code must be dropped. Some people enjoy different things about Gnome (I know I have), but by and large their reputation befits that they generally don't incorporate feedback about their design decisions from their users.

It may not have been apparent from my original post but I am _NOT_ a KDE user, I haven't been for 15 years and before that 20 years ago I was probably a Gnome user. I am merely interested in exploring for myself what made Valve choose KDE over Gnome for their upcoming Steam Deck. To my knowledge Gnome & KDE devs are actually friends and complementary of each-others hard work & achievements.

I do miss the days when you could take a Shell module like gnome_panel and use it with whatever window manager you wished. Everything seems so all-in-one these days, a kind of "take it, or leave it" -- Pantheon Shell thankfully has the Slingshot Launcher & Plank Dock severable from the Window Manager/Shell.
    Last edited by ElectricPrism; 20 July 2021, 01:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cotyso
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    a Office use case. .
    I have a question, what are those functionalities? I use vanilla Gnome on Fedora, without extensions (except one that controls syncthing), and I've found it better at my office workflow. The overview panel (activities) is better implemented than its alternative in KDE. Plus KDE seems to have an issue with rendering text, at least on my machine there were quite a lot of artifacts. Firefox also had an issue in which fonts couldn't be changed.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    i wish if Xfce/LXQt/LXDE jump to wayland bus
    I haven't been following those for a while and I'm not sure what the status is, but generally speaking for it to happen they must 1) fully move to GTK >=3 or Qt >=5; and 2) implement a compositor. For the latter point some of such desktops have been considering Mir. Otherwise they would have to develop their own which is a HUGE endeavour (wlroots can take them a long way towards that, but the price would be forfeiting nVidia compatibility).

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high
    Oh my god, respectfully, shut the hell up.
    Request denied. Also, keep the impulsive emotions in check.

Imagine downloading an ALPHA operating system
    Reading comprehension matters. You scanned the text and drew an incorrect conclusion that I referring to Gnome 41.

and complaining it's not working in an office setting and backwards compatible with all of your extensions.
    Incorrect inference.

You're not paying anyone a dime to use GNOME
    How the fuck do you know that? You don't. That's a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the world we live in today -- people are LAZY and like to ASSUME things based on the LIMITED information they can see. This creates STEREOTYPES and lazy hive-think leads to the devolution of our societies. /rant

I could slam dunk you on all the Linux Workstations, Servers, Consoles, TVs, and other devices I have and the exact number of people using them but no I don't think I will.

I'm not gonna even start on your post, the guy above me took care of it. But man you sound like you whine a lot. Again, respectfully
    Bro -- take a step back and realize -- you are whining about your perceiving me "whining". You are complaining about me complaining (about something unrelated to either of us). There's a word for that, it's called:

Hypocrisy.

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt you just had a stressful week or are not sleeping or eating, hell if you were here I'd buy you a beer.

Gnome devs have made a fascinating and remarkably clear vision -- credit to them, but if there is one thing that they are infamous for it's -- ignoring user feedback. While some criticisms of them are unhinged emotional tumbleweeds, others like the one I posted above are legitimate criticism of technical failings that I have personally observed for myself and users ages 14 to 81.

Maybe next time you are so frustrated by an internet post go lift some weights or do some pushups or something constructive.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    the lack of Image Previews when selecti/ng a .jpg or .png to upload in GTK FIle Chooser
    Press space bar to preview a selected .jpg or .png.

, lack of Split Pane in Nautilus,
    Hardly missed, up to that power user to create an extension for that purpose and then propose to the team.
    lack of typeahead,
    On which application? Will you be able to demonstrate the usefulness on that application and propose a suggestion like this example ?
    lack of launching .desktop launcher's or having a workaround,
    Where exactly? On Application view where icons can be placed inside a folder application?

I've always hated the taskbar auto-hiding on Windows and it's the same on Linux -- I want to see what actions / commands are available to me not "hide them" someplace and pretend they don't exist.
    GNOME Shell does not use taskbar by default for a long time. Depending of the distribution, GNOME Classic, an extended GNOME Shell, provides taskbar for peruse.

Gnome wants to do what Gnome wants to do and that's fine, but it's really nice that they have some serious competition so I -- a user -- can have some decent choices. Dolphin & Index file managers are the shining star of KDE.
    Think GNOME as a different desktop environment rather than clone of another desktop environment like KDE. Majority of ordinary users care less about the advanced application like Dolphin to access their files through clutter. The forum is hardly a place to address the issue, filing a ticket with a detailed rationale on a feature you deem useful not only for an individual but for the public.

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post
    The complaint that it is designed for tablet style devices is tired. just because you dont like it, it doesnt mean it isnt designed for normal dsktops. You are free to dislike it and use other desktops, just dont pretend that it is tablet focussed when it is mostly keyboard focussed.
    Some people just complain something they don't like, even they don't even know what they don't like

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    wake me up when gnome decided to make DE for PC user who don't have and like touch-screen stop copying mac and windows 8 look
    maybe add server-side decorations support too
    If you follow the developers you would know that atleast one of the designers uses an ultrawide monitor and it works well there. others also use it on their desktops.

The new layout also works great on laptops.

The complaint that it is designed for tablet style devices is tired. just because you dont like it, it doesnt mean it isnt designed for normal dsktops. You are free to dislike it and use other desktops, just dont pretend that it is tablet focussed when it is mostly keyboard focussed.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    I hate how the web page title isn't visible in gnome 40 despite wasting so much space in the upper screen border. The black bar has surprisingly few features considering the number of pixels its reserving on a 4k screen.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    On day I'll open an article about GNOME update and I'll learn that they have dash-to-dock or dash-to-panel baked in and there won't be any flamewar in the comment section. Maybe in another life?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X