KDE's KWin Reworks Its DRM Code, Many Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Fedora, Tumbleweed, and Arch all make good choices because those are what a lot of KDE developers use.
    rofl, have you even checked out Fedora KDE? It's ridiculously bad.

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post

Works great for me. What are you doing wrong?

Comment

Fedora is easily TOP 3 distro to use Plasma.

Unfortunately you need to spend 5 hours cleaning it up. It's like they asked Alexmutter and 144Hz to pick the default applications and settings.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

Works great for me. What are you doing wrong?
          It's not necessarily broken, but it's always felt way less polished than every single other KDE spin I've ever come across.
          Like what's with that hideous cyan variation of Breeze that comes with it? Do people actually use this?

Some of the most notable issues I've had with it were broken sddm setups and kwin being buggy ootb.

Haven't extensively used the Workstation KDE spin in a while as I'm mostly on Silverblue now, thus I won't comment on any of the issues I've had with Kinoite (the Fedora Silverblue KDE spin).
          I also remember the Workstation KDE spin being extremely bloated, with multiple apps serving the exact same purpose.

Comment

I use Plasma on Tumbleweed and am satisfied. If you prefer more tested Plasma use LTS versions which use Plasma LTS versions. Often, however, the problem is not Plasma but some distributions, which do not even release bug fix releases, this sucks but it is all the responsibility of the distributions. One of the few LTS fix release distributions that update Plasma is openSUSE Leap.

Comment

Yeah....that no Wayland lockscreen crap for starters....

Comment

These various crash and DrmPipeline changes make me think 5.23 is where Wayland is finally good for daily use. Right now in 5.22 it's almost usable but frequent crashes make me consider going back to the X11 session.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

And so it begins.
                Year of the KDE Desktop

Comment

"make me think 5.23 is where Wayland is finally good for daily use". I agree. I tried Wayland on 5.22 for a day and the lack of selection copy and MMB paste between apps drove me to despair, so it was back to X11. But it's close and I "feel" another few months of development will we'll finally crack the Wayland jackpot!

Comment

Are there any plans to implement Vulkan backend for KWin in addition to OpenGL one?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

Uh, what? Arch distributes precompiled binaries like Debian does.
                      I think it is more about configuration. With debian, you almost always install something and it will run smoothly without the need for tinkering or starting the service. With Arch, you must edit the conf file and starting it manually.

Edit:
                      - for example, ssh server
                      Last edited by t.s.; 18 July 2021, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X