Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.2 RC1 Released Ahead Of Official Debut Next Month

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.2 RC1 Released Ahead Of Official Debut Next Month

LibreOffice 7.2 is expected for release before the end of August while today marks the availability of the first release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you are a user of Calc, please help them by filling out the survey for Calc. Since they are nice and don't have telemetry it's the least we can do to help them improve their product.

From https://design.blog.documentfoundati...ng-our-survey/

Comment

I wonder if they'll make the GUI pretty and modern, like MS Office, WPS Office, OnlyOffice Desktop Editors, or many other Office Suites manage to do.

I wonder if they'll finally fix the lack of sub-pixel positioning which makes many words unevenly spaced ( a bug ticket open for the last 15 years).

I won't hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by miffe View Post
        If you are a user of Calc, please help them by filling out the survey for Calc. Since they are nice and don't have telemetry it's the least we can do to help them improve their product.

From https://design.blog.documentfoundati...ng-our-survey/
        Thanks for the heads-up. Went there and filled everything they asked.

Cheers.

Comment

Did they add WMF/EMF import filters for OOXML files? I think this would be a huge thing for me, since I occasionally have files with them. IIRC, WMF was one of the few formats I knew that supported vector images in Word.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
            I wonder if they'll make the GUI pretty and modern, like MS Office, WPS Office, OnlyOffice Desktop Editors, or many other Office Suites manage to do.

I wonder if they'll finally fix the lack of sub-pixel positioning which makes many words unevenly spaced ( a bug ticket open for the last 15 years).

I won't hold my breath.
            It looks perfectly fine as-is. In fact, it's one of the only sane layouts left, it's even better. What a waste of a suggestion.

The characters issue needs addressed, though. It's everywhere in the editing window with pixel-size changing things. Random lines and shit everywhere.

Comment

I won't hold my breath.
              I haven't used WPS Office, but OnlyOffice is anything but pretty. If you remove the colors for each task (as for MSO, green for spreadsheet, blue for word processor, and orange for presentation), it really has nothing better than LO. And it's actually less featured in my opinion. Also, with the tab thingie, you can isolate your current document from the main interface, but you can't get rid of that main useless interface to just have your document running, and that's a huge bother in my books.

With the tabbed interface (ribbon-like) and SiFr icons, LO is very decent. If they were to add those 3 colors to distinguish your document types, I'm sure everyone would find it much prettier than OnlyOffice.
              MSO is more refined esthetically though, that much I can agree on. But its counter-intuitive workflow has never really worked for me. It's full of little assumptions that never work as I would expect, e.g. spacing before/after paragraph is a dreadfully inconsistent mess.

Comment

I won't hold my breath.
                LO has a tabbed interface now. You can activate it under view -> user interface.

Regarding the others:
                MS office: many (me included) cannot work without if to collaborate on non-trivial documents. I am not shure the interface improved for the better since Office 2007.
                OnlyOffice desktop is the only software that was able to crash Gome 3.38 Wayland on my Debian 10 workstation. After 3 times -> obvious uninstall.
                WPS office is proprietary, less stable, less complete compared to LO (in my experience) and I don't see a reason to use it over LO+tabbed interface or even MS office online.

Comment

"Bug 137924 - [KF5] UI not scaled correctly on HIDPI Wayland/KDE screens "

Not listed in the release notes. Maybe next year.

Comment

My question is about GTK4 on which it is based LibreOffice 7.2: in which way is it integrated in OSes based on Qt? Will hardware acceleration be assured also in these Oses?

Comment

Working...
                    X