GNOME Mutter Lands New Work To Reduce Input Latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    The same file times as "ls" would report.
    Nope. You will not see Yesterday 18:00 or Mon 18:00 next to posix-long-iso in ls

You use a VM, with a virtual file system.
    The lag is there on bare metal and tmpfs. Maybe it's not 500 ms, but it's there.

[...] it queue's those operations just fine.
    Apparently, queues are really hard to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

It shows that GNOME raised from almost 0 to 50% in one year. This stat seems not representative.
      Initially they had fewer systems. Later datasets are more accurate..

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

Although, I like your debate style and arguments, I would like to ask you to stop contributing off topic discussions.

Thanks.
        New kid in town?
        Welcome to phoronix

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
          I know I can press / to start typing a path, but then it's not very intuitive to navigate
          actually it's ctrl-l and then it's usual typing with tab completion, what else you need?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            actually it's ctrl-l and then it's usual typing with tab completion, what else you need?
            That's one of the most obscure features in nautilus, especially considering that on almost any other major file manarer (file explorer (win), dolphin, thunar, nemo) it needs just one click on the address bar. Mac os is a notable exception in this case.

However calling this a feature maybe a little too much...
            It's something we don't want to expose actually since we want the path bar to be used mostly by the breadcrumbs rather than text based paths, which are not quite nice. The feature is more like an easter egg for those who know about this functionality.
            There is currently no way of showing the location bar other than with Ctrl+l. There is not even any indication in the UI that this feature...

Comment

Author of this work also published latency comparison of Wayland vs Xorg:
              https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...2#note_1206230

Comment

Working...
              X