GNOME Mutter Lands New Work To Reduce Input Latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    One especially annoying feature in Nautilus is the rendering of picture previews. If you have a directory with hundreds of pics, the scrollbar will readjust its position and range with every rendered picture. The end result is a horrible mess that is constantly moving, making it hard to navigate and operate any file related tasks. It's also slow as fuck. I mean, on a RX 5600 XT & Ryzen 5950X system with 128 GB of RAM, it literally takes like one minute to render few hundred images located on a PCIe 4.0 SSD drive. Switch back and forth between folders and wait again. I can tell no other photo application is as unusable.
    This issue could be older than many Gnome users!

By the way, I ported it to the new Gitlab
    This is a teenager bug that's been with Nautilus for a long time, every detail can be found in the previous records. Here's the old bug report:

I've been meaning to suggest at least a workaround, but we're understaffed and I've been overwhelmed by work. The easiest solution would be to lock the thumbnails height to the maximum width. That way the view wouldn't scroll while loading the thumbnails.

I think both Dolphin and Thunar use this approach.

Comment

Are you guys talking about nautilus and the file picker?

Oh boy, I won't even start talking about it because it pisses me off.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

This issue could be older than many Gnome users!

By the way, I ported it to the new Gitlab
        This is a teenager bug that's been with Nautilus for a long time, every detail can be found in the previous records. Here's the old bug report:

I've been meaning to suggest at least a workaround, but we're understaffed and I've been overwhelmed by work. The easiest solution would be to lock the thumbnails height to the maximum width. That way the view wouldn't scroll while loading the thumbnails.

I think both Dolphin and Thunar use this approach.
        Strange, they told me that Gnome has no bugs !

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Strange, they told me that Gnome has no bugs !
          That's absurd. All software has bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            So many potential Gnome users hate the file picker and Nautilus, but they probably haven't reached rock bottom regarding user loss yet. Though I don't dare to say if they actually will act once they do reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
              Yes, that is part of the reason I'm considering to switch.

Is it, though? From a quick test in a VM Nautilus seems to have even less features than 10 years ago or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
              There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least), no simple "create file" option, no color marking of folders, weird and inconsistent file time display and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
              I assume Nautilus also still cannot queue copy/move operations like Nemo can.
              But there is now a "open in terminal" feature. I'm actually surprised.
              If you prefer Nemo, what is wrong with using Nemo on gnome?
              BTW, you mentioned that you tested Nautilus in a VM. I'd suspect that your VM storage setup has at least something to do with the perceived "slowness".

Comment

i just want to add, i like nautilus and don't understand the hate. its fast for me and works extremely well. i really like the move to and copy to dialogs in the right-click menu. its clean, light, fast, and has everything you need without the bloat. it looks nice.

Comment

It shows that GNOME raised from almost 0 to 50% in one year. This stat seems not representative.
                  Last edited by RedEyed; 14 July 2021, 01:55 AM.

Comment

There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least)
                    There are 3 very obvious ways to create a bookmark. Either via the a right click and "Add to Bookmarks", or via the folder path menu on top, again "Add to Bookmarks" or by simply dragging the folder to the side panel. "Starred" is something different then bookmarks, but you can use both.

, no simple "create file" option,
                    Your distro does not come with example files in ~/Templates

weird and inconsistent file time display
                    The same file times as "ls" would report.

and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
                    You use a VM, with a virtual file system. Nautilus and Nemo, for those who do not know are the same thing, they both share most of their code, Nemo is just a continuation for the older Gnome 2 style UI.

I assume Nautilus also still cannot queue copy/move operations like Nemo can.
                    No need to assume, it queue's those operations just fine.

After all, you do not just show that you put zero effort in even trying to use it, you also come with what you call assumptions while it is just bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                      There are 3 very obvious ways to create a bookmark. Either via the a right click and "Add to Bookmarks", or via the folder path menu on top, again "Add to Bookmarks" or by simply dragging the folder to the side panel. "Starred" is something different then bookmarks, but you can use both.

Your distro does not come with example files in ~/Templates

The same file times as "ls" would report.

You use a VM, with a virtual file system. Nautilus and Nemo, for those who do not know are the same thing, they both share most of their code, Nemo is just a continuation for the older Gnome 2 style UI.

No need to assume, it queue's those operations just fine.

After all, you do not just show that you put zero effort in even trying to use it, you also come with what you call assumptions while it is just bias.
                      Although, I like your debate style and arguments, I would like to ask you to stop contributing off topic discussions.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X